Job Title: Police Officer
Location: Clayton State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 226740
Located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta, Clayton State University offers employees a diverse environment which fosters both professional and personal development. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of engaged, experienced-based learning, enriched by active community service. Clayton State offers multiple Bachelor and Master Degree programs which currently enrolls over 6,900 students in challenging campus and on-line courses.
The campus is situated just 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta on 214 beautiful acres, making access to the metropolitan area a breeze. We’ve been named a Top Workplace in Atlanta by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for six consecutive years. And we also were named one of 79 higher education institutions across the nation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list of 2017 Great Colleges to Work For.
This position performs specialized police work and is responsible for protecting life and property, preventing and investigating violations, enforcing laws and regulations on the university property, and apprehending violators within police jurisdiction. The applicant offered this position will be required to complete a pre-employment drug test, polygraph, and psychological test.Responsibilities
- Patrols campus area on foot or by motorized vehicle, maintaining watch over buildings and grounds.
- Observes and/or investigates suspicious actions or persons, and dangerous or defective conditions. Open and lock doors and windows.
- Enforces criminal laws, conduct criminal investigations, interview victims or complainants in person or by phone, gather information and conduct a logical investigation, produce reports, and take out warrants if needed.
- Enforces traffic laws – issues traffic citations, investigates traffic accidents, questions drivers and witnesses, assists any injured individuals, records and reports pertinent data describing scene and circumstances.
- Performs public relations function to advise students, faculty, and staff of campus safety regulations. Provides directions and other information to the public as requested.
- Testifies in court on traffic and criminal issues on behalf of the university.
- Enforces Clayton State University rules and regulations.
- Performs other public safety duties as needed.
- POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training) certification.
- A successful background investigation is a requirement for employment at CSU. For more information about the background investigation, you are encouraged to go to the following link at http://www.usg.edu/hr/manual/background_investigation.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Knowledge of first aid and fire prevention techniques.
- Knowledge of Georgia traffic and criminal laws.
- Knowledge of CSU Campus and its traffic patterns is a plus.
- Knowledge of standard police practices and procedures.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Effective time management skills.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.