Veterans Affairs Assistant
Job Title: Veterans Affairs Assistant
Location: Clayton State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 226731
Located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta, Clayton State University offers employees a diverse environment which fosters both professional and personal development. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of engaged, experienced-based learning, enriched by active community service. Clayton State offers multiple Bachelor and Master Degree programs which currently enrolls over 6,900 students in challenging campus and on-line courses.
The campus is situated just 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta on 214 beautiful acres, making access to the metropolitan area a breeze. We’ve been named a Top Workplace in Atlanta by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for six consecutive years. And we also were named one of 79 higher education institutions across the nation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list of 2017 Great Colleges to Work For.
The Veterans Affairs Assistant reports to the Veterans Affairs & State Grant Coordinator and is responsible for working directly with students seeking to receive Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits, Federal Student Aid, and State. The position will assist prospective and current students with the processes within the regulations pertaining to VA Education Benefits and departmental procedures. The Veterans Affairs Assistant will represent the University at on-campus and off-campus events. Late evenings and weekends are not typical but may be required. This position will utilize Banner, Xtender, Metabase, VA Once, Tungsten, and regulations pertaining to VA Education Benefits and departmental procedures.Responsibilities
- Assist with the certification and adjustments of VA Educational Benefits.
- Serve as frontline staff to assist students with VA Educational Benefits, Federal Student Aid, and State Aid and address inquiries about the benefits and aid.
- Prep, scan, image, and index financial aid and VA documents.
- Assist with updating Banner, VA Once, and other electronic systems.
- Assist with creating and distributing mass communication to students and potential students.
- Represent the Office of Financial Aid at internal and external events with students, staff, and community partners.
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Requires three years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preference is given to those with experience in working with VA Educational Benefits.
- Ability to exhibit effective organizational, time management, and multitasking skills.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service in high traffic.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.