GenCyber Summer Residential Advisor (Part-time/Temporary) - Summer 2021
Job Title: GenCyber Summer Residential Advisor (Part-time/Temporary) - Summer 2021
Location: UNG-Dahlonega, GA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 226401
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Job Summary
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for Temporary Summer Residential Advisors for the GenCyber Warrior Academy (GCWA) Program. The GenCyber Warrior Academy (GCWA) GenCyber summer camp is a ten-day, residential cyber academy for 40 area high school students at the University of North Georgia¿s (UNG) Dahlonega Campus. The mission of the GCWA is to inspire the next generation of cyber operations and cybersecurity professionals in the north Georgia region. The academy includes 80 hours of instructional and extension activities, including 40 hours of hands-on labs in learner-centered classrooms using the Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) iLabs curriculum. The standards-based content will reinforce Cybersecurity First Principles through hands-on exercises. In addition to lab exercises, students will participate in extension activities involving coding in Python, Sphero robotics, Drone programming, 3D printing, car hacking, and capture-the-flag and red-team/blue-team events. Light physical recreation is part of the academy with students participating in morning physical recreation led by the GCWA Summer Residential Advisors, with appropriate accommodations for students of varying abilities. Compensation: $1,500 stipend as well as room and board. GCWA Summer Residential Advisors (SRA) are responsible for the well-being of GCWA students. Counseling, academic support, and various types of supervision are all facets of this responsibility. For the 10-day program from June 10-19, including the weekend, the SRA is expected to keep close contact with the students in all aspects of community life. The SRA lives in the dorm among -students and takes on the roles of teacher, counselor, and mentor. The SRA enforces program rules and codes of behavior and is expected to respond to loud noises and nighttime emergencies. SRAs should report serious breaches of program rules to the proper administrator. SRAs must sleep and reside in the program's dormitory and be available for nighttime emergencies as well. Mandatory training will be held June 8-9. The dates for the program are June 10-19, 2021.Responsibilities
- Cadet mentors serve 'on duty' rotation, supervising students as they leave the residence halls to go to meals, classes, and events, escorting students to the infirmary, assisting central staff with office work and errands, and other duties as assigned. Teach and mentor support instructors and facilitate teams during camp.
- Serve as lab assistants and lead teambuilding in daytime classes (ethical hacking instruction on computers in MLC 112) as scheduled; assist Instructors with classroom support on a rotation basis (at least two SRAs on duty during regular class times); supervise students on the bus trip to Fort Gordon.
- Facilitate small-group discussions and team-building exercises, provide meaningful educational experiences related to character development and managing appropriate boundaries.
- Serve as a positive role model and mentor for GCWA students, sharing the importance of education and the attitudes and skills that will enhance the students¿ academic and personal success while building healthy relationships of mutual respect. Assist and supervise students in their group projects using the Agile/Scrum project management methodology.
- Participate actively in staff meetings and daily supervision meetings and contribute to the after-action report (AAR), sharing information regarding student, staff, and programming issues.
- Assist with programmatic duties as assigned by Program Staff such as evening/recreational programming for students.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have interpersonal skills, sensitivity to the needs of different students, and commitment to the goals of GCWA; Intangible traits such as reliability, flexibility, effective communication, trustworthiness, motivation, leadership qualities, and a positive attitude; Interest in working with adolescents, and excel in a team setting.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- At least 30 credit hours completed.
- Must be a cadet in good standing in the Corps as of Spring 2021.
- Cover letter
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.Special Applicant Instructions
- Please submit contact information for three professional references