Executive Financial Officer
Job no: 508056
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: IT Administration
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
Categories: Business & Financial Services
Executive Financial Officer/Administrative Officer
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Vice Chancellor for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (CIO), oversees fiscal and administrative matters for Information Technology (IT). Acts as the Vice Chancellor’s liaison on fiscal issues. Analyzes and reviews IT spending to evaluate opportunities for leveraged procurement savings and standardized technology across the University system. Serves as Administrative Officer for IT, provides fiscal and budget oversight for IT Human Resources. Responsible for annual preparation of revenue-based budgets and allocation of operating budgets and monitors expenditures of funds and fund balances. Advises Directors and Managers on fiscal and administrative matters. Prepares statistical and analytical information, metrics, reports and proposals. Develops and implements policies and procedures to address new business income streams or business needs. Develops and maintains standardized operating procedures and policies to ensure compliance with University policies and procedures for financial and administrative matters.
- Responsible for overseeing the development, justification and allocation of all sources of funds, including payroll, allocable and trust funded operating and capital budgets for Information Technology. Develops multi-year fiscal planning goals and targets. Provides ongoing information, guidance and advice regarding budget management for all departments within IT. Establishes procedures for preparation and submission of annual budgets, prepares budget proposals, including revenue-based fee requests. Prepares budget packages for University review and coordinates review and approval process. Allocates approved budgets to the departments within IT. Provides fiscal and budget oversight in the Human Resources area as Administrative Officer.
- Directs the IT Finance Office and other revenue and billing operations as assigned. Monitors revenues and expenditures for all funds. Monitors payroll and non-payroll expense projections. Reviews and approves all budget changes and transfers for accounts within IT. Negotiates and implements funding transfers with other executive areas and campuses. Conducts and implements mid-year and year-end budget reviews.
- Serves as senior financial adviser for the Vice Chancellor, Directors, and managers. Develops initiatives related to establishing new revenue streams, billing, planning for projected deficits, financing major renovations, and resolves fiscal problems. Responsible for accuracy and timeliness of departmental financial reports including on-going improvement and clarification of these reports.
- Participates in campus and UMass system committees charged with investigating, researching, and analyzing IT spending by administrative, academic and research departments. Advises CIO and Procurement Director of opportunity to lower costs by consolidated spending to standardize technology across campuses and negotiate campus contracts to University system wide contracts in areas including IT technologies and consulting.
- Acts as the Vice Chancellor’s liaison with other campus offices such as Deans, Budget Office, Human Resources, Controllers Office, and the President's Office (including Treasurer, University Controller and University Information Technology Services, and Procurement) in order to facilitate processes. Acts as the finance liaison for IT; assists in distribution and compilation of information to and from end users and administrative staff. Coordinates ongoing training. Investigates reporting needs of users and pursues creation of new reports to satisfy particular requests.
- Negotiates and implements campus and system-wide IT licenses; develops pricing model for such licenses where required. Tracks usage to develop metrics and ensure compliance with relevant terms and conditions of the licenses.
- Responsible for ensuring the optimal working environment for all IT staff by overseeing maintenance and safety conditions of IT facilities. Oversees staff work station assignments.
- Develops general business procedures to maximize efficiency and effectiveness, both within the department and for IT related processes across campus.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Understands, is committed to, and implements University and departmental affirmative action and non-discrimination regulations, policies, and principles as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in business related field and 7 years of progressive experience in accounting or related field.
- Knowledge of standard accounting principles and procedures.
- Five years supervisory experience.
- Technical aptitude with computer software including business process systems, databases, spreadsheets, and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems and data reporting.
- Master's degree (strongly preferred) in business related field plus five years of experience in accounting or related field.
- Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in large, complex organization, public or higher education experience.
M-F, 40 hours. Some nights and weekends.
Non-Unit, commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your application, a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references by the priority deadline date of May 17, 2021 to ensure consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.”
Advertised: Apr 29 2021 Eastern Daylight Time