Clerk III - Writing Program
Job no: 507904
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Writing Program
Categories: Administrative/Office Support
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Coordinates and provides front office responsibilities for the Writing Program, including answering general inquiries, managing student enrollment and registration, gathering course placement data and creating essential reports, and providing logistical support to faculty and staff (monitoring photocopier usage, assigning office spaces, managing key policy, etc.). Manage essential and time-sensitive program communications through multiple media.
Independent of supervision, the Administrative Program Assistant:
- First point of contact for Writing Program, receiving and responding to student, faculty, advisor, parent, and community queries and requests.
- Drafts letters, emails, and memos about course placement, including communications with students, advisors, registrar, parents, etc.
- Maintains and updates website, social media platforms, and newsletters in collaboration with Writing Program administrative team.
- Oversees SPIRE registration for Writing Program courses.
- Coordinates course evaluation process with Office of Academic Planning and Assessment.
- Provides logistical support to instructors (managing office assignments and keys, monitoring printer, managing and providing classroom supplies, collecting forms, etc.), including preparing materials for teacher training.
- Organizes logistics and schedules rooms for Junior Year Writing, University Writing Committee, Writing Center, and other Writing Program campus-wide partners.
- Reviews and analyzes data around placement, enrollment, evaluations, grades and other assessment projects to improve student enrollment, teacher training, and curriculum.
- Prepares reports on placement, enrollment, grades, and evaluations to determine progress and provide information to superiors.
- Maintains up-to-date records on placement, enrollment, policies, procedures, events, mail lists and listservs, etc.
With the Office Manager/Bookkeeper
- Maintains records for ProCard and Corporate Travel card statements.
- Manages inventory and orders office supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience working with diverse groups of people.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, other office, communication, and publication software (Google Apps, Drupal, etc.)
- Ability to collect, manage, and interpret data.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Familiarity with University and Writing Program policies.
- Understanding of principles of student-centered, process-based writing pedagogy.
- Familiarity with University registration, evaluation, and record-keeping systems.
- Associate’s degree.
- Knowledge of communications and customer service practices.
- Five years experience in a fast-paced office setting.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online with your resume and cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of 5/12/2021 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 29 2021 Eastern Daylight Time