10018331 Information Security Officer
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department: Cyber Security Primary Location: Macon Position: Staff Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for assisting in Middle Georgia State University’s cybersecurity operations. This position acts as the secondary ISO and reports to the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO).
- Assists the CISO with the implementation and enforcement of Cybersecurity policies, standards, procedures, and guidelines.
- Regularly monitors system safeguards effectiveness.
- Assists in the investigation of and response to cybersecurity incidents.
- Protects the cybersecurity plan from unauthorized disclosure and modification.
- Facilitates cybersecurity awareness and collaboration.
- Participates in and advises University committees as needed.
- Assist in development of System Security Plans, Risk Assessments, Plans of Action (Risk Registers) and other system documentation.
- Serve as a primary or secondary system administrator for one or more servers, virtual machines, and related Cybersecurity services, including:
- VPN and firewall
- Software updates
- Wireless network
- Log management
- Vulnerability scanning
- Hardware and software inventory
- Radius Authentication
- Active directory – users, computers, and group policy
- Scripts and group policies to apply security patches and configuration settings
- Security controls on routers and layer 3 switches
- Backup/recovery software
- Licensing and support agreements
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of FIPS PUB 199, NIST SP800-53 and NIST SP800-30 security and privacy standards for information systems.
- Knowledge of HIPAA, FERPA, GLBA and PCI compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of University and University System of Georgia Cybersecurity and Data Governance policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Wi-Fi concepts and best practices involving authentication, power settings, channel allocation and density planning.
- Skill with PowerShell, VBScript and Dos batch file scripting.
- Skill with Hyper-V virtualization.
- Skill with network layer 2 VLANs and layer 3 routing and Sub-netting.
- Skill with security architecture development.
- Skill with network security and firewall management.
- Skill with Windows and Linux operating system installation and configuration.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: Reports to the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO). Collaborates with the CISO to set department goals and objectives. The CISO reviews work through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), the FISMA risk management framework, National Institute of Standards and Technology special publications, University System of Georgia cybersecurity policies and procedures, and Middle Georgia State University cybersecurity policies, standards and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied duties in the management of all aspects of cybersecurity. Strict polices and evolving threats contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to implement and manage the university’s cybersecurity program. Success in this position contributes to the security and privacy of information stored on University systems.
- The work requires a valid driver’s license and may involve occasional travel to our campuses in Warner Robins, Cochran, Eastman, Dublin and Macon Airport.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other university employees, vendors, consultants, representatives of other colleges and universities, occasionally students and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically in support of cybersecurity related duties, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to provide services, or to motivate or influence persons.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: No supervisory or management responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer science, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, or related fields from an accredited institution required.
- 5+ years of experience demonstrating the knowledge and skills required by the position.
- This position is exempt (monthly paid).
- Pay grade 22.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “10018331 Information Security Officer 4.30.2021”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D