Lecturer - Psychology
Lecturer - PsychologyPosting Number:
8209RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
42.28 - Clinical, Counseling and Applied PsychologyFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100%Salary / Wage Range:
The expected salary upon hire is $55,015Anticipated Start Date:
09/16/21Term of Appointment:
9 months, mid-September through mid-JuneLocation:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Felicia JensenResponsible HR User:
Britt PirkerResponsible HR User Email address:
[email protected] "inquiries only"Job Summary:
Eastern Washington University’s Department of Psychology invites applications for two full-time, academic year, Lecturer positions, one specializing in health psychology and one specializing in diversity, to begin September 16, 2021. The positions are eligible for annual renewal.
- Teaching a variety of undergraduate courses to fulfill the needs of the Program and Department. Final courses will be determined in consultation with the Chair.
- The lecturer specializing in health psychology will teach courses that may include Health Psychology, the Science of Stress and Coping, and Capstone for Health Psychology.
- The lecturer specializing in diversity is open to individuals trained in any field of psychology. However, a candidate with expertise in areas including race, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, etc., is desired. This lecturer may teach courses that include Cultural Psychology and Educational Psychology.
- Engaging in effective teaching and assessment of student learning
- Actively involving undergraduate students in research projects, applied experiences, and presentations
- Participating in Department meetings and collaborating with colleagues to fulfill the missions of the Department
The typical teaching load is 45 credits per year, spread over three quarters. The candidate is not required to serve on committees, but should be an active member in the department.
Screening will begin May 4, 2021. These positions have a nine-month academic year appointment with potential for optional summer teaching. The contract is renewable annually dependent on performance, need, and funding.
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
The required start date for this position is 09/16/2021. To be considered eligible for appointment into the position, applicants must be available and able to start in the position no later than 09/16/2021.
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
Note: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom (camera must be enabled). While we anticipate being open for in-person instruction for academic year 2021-2022, should Washington State or university pandemic restrictions disallow for in-person instruction, then courses will be taught via online platforms, including Zoom and other technologies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate competence using these technologies.
Essential Functions Analysis forms (“EFA”) describe the physical and mental demands associated with our positions. You may access this document at the link provided below:
EFA for Lecturer – Psychology Position
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- MA or MS in Psychology or Counseling or equivalent degree will meet the minimum requirement.
- Ability to teach courses within psychology and specific to specialty areas, as demonstrated by coursework, prior teaching experience, research, and/or publications/presentations.
- Mastery of basic computer skills including word processing, database, email, and other forms of instruction technology
- Demonstrated ability to teach in an online format using synchronous and asynchronous components
- A high degree of interest in human and cultural diversity, social justice and experiential and community- based education. Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Ph.D., Psy.D., Ed.D. or ABD in Psychology or Counseling is preferred
- Experience teaching university or college graduate level Psychology courses
- Experience teaching core psychology courses such as Research Method and Statistics
- Commitment to quality teaching and student development
- Demonstrated ability to advise students and to supervise applied experiences
- Demonstrated high degree of interest, ability, and/or experience promoting cultural competency and/or diversity
- Time Management
- Attention to Detail
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibilities and as teaching schedule varies from quarter to quarter.Posting Date:
04/26/2021Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
05/04/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
Position is open until further notice; screening will start May 4, 2021. All materials will be held in the strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
- Cover letter: please describe how you meet each of the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence: Attach evidence of effective teaching to include teaching evaluations if available for the most recent two years. Student evaluations should not include the original evaluation materials, but should be limited to 3rd party summaries.
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- List of Professional References: please include a list of at least three references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
- Additional optional links: if you have additional documents that serve as evidence of how you meet the qualifications, you may upload those items to the optional links labeled Other Document #1 and Other Document #2.
Note: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom (camera must be enabled). While we anticipate being open for in-person instruction for academic year 2021-2022, should Washington State or university pandemic restrictions disallow for in-person instruction, then courses will be taught via online platforms, including Zoom and other technologies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate competence using these technologies.% of Time:
100Responsibility / Duty:
Teach 45 Credits
All faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of learning outcomes.Essential Function Indicator: