Hospitality Supervisor 🔍Residential & Dining Enterprises, Stanford, California, United States📁Food Services📅Apr 29, 2021 Post Date📅89362 Requisition #Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description. This role is designated as essential and requires incumbents to report to the worksite. Telecommute is not an option for this role.About Residential & Dining Enterprises:Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields, from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The University is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus. Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $206 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 660 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, and Information Technology. “Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.” About Stanford Dining:R&DE Stanford Dining, a division of Residential & Dining Enterprises, serves over 12,000 meals per day. Its operations include11 undergraduate dining halls, two late-night dining operations, Schwab Executive Dining, an athletic training table program, the Teaching Kitchen @ Stanford, Community BeWell Gardens, and summer conference dining. As the dining department of the world’s premier research and teaching institution, R&DE Stanford Dining promotes food as a multidisciplinary educational experience and engages students in food issues such as those related to health, the environment, social equity and the global economy. R&DE Stanford Dining has been recognized for its culinary excellence by awards such as the prestigious industry Ivy Award by Restaurants and Institutions for its environmental leadership role, by numerous awards such as the Acterra Award for Sustainability, and most recently was named Most Vegan-Friendly College by peta2 for its vegan and vegetarian offerings, and certified as a Responsible Epicurean and Agricultural Leadership (REAL) restaurant by the United States Healthful Food Council for its use of nutrition and sustainability best practices. For more information, please visit www.dining.stanford.edu. Stanford and R&DE are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse environment. R&DE’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our work of providing service excellence to our students. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is foundational to what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us different. JOB PURPOSE:Ensure customer service, and participate in the daily operational oversight of residential dining, retail, or catering services. Act as sole leadership presence in some smaller scale operations; will typically be the leader for a standalone unit with less than $750,000 in revenue targets and less than 5 FTE. May also be part of the overall leadership team responsible for a large or multiple units with more than $750,000 in revenue targets and a combined size of 15 or more FTE. CORE DUTIES*:
- Uphold customer service standards, and ensure client expectations are met by receiving and resolving customer inquiries, concerns, and/or complaints; perform daily interactive customer discussions. Contribute to business optimization by collecting, inputting, and reviewing data and reviewing reports to guide daily operational decisions, implementing and overseeing the control, tracking, and accounting of department revenue and expenses, and suggesting programming to retain and expand customer base.Contribute to effective employee and staff relations by maintaining management presence for service periods in a specific location, identifying and resolving daily operational problems and appropriately escalating to management, and training, scheduling, and supervising all front-of-the-house food service workers and kitchen staff as required.Participate in menu and marketing development by contributing suggestions for concept development, special event planning, and seasonal and custom menus.Ensure health and safety standards are met by conducting regular on-site food quality, merchandising, sanitation, equipment maintenance, real-time safety, and food handling practices, and staff and facility appearance inspections at the assigned unit; ensure health code compliance and organizational sanitation standards are met in assigned location.
- Knowledge of food service management and techniques for an institutionalized food service operation.Ability to effectively supervise and train a diverse work staff.Exposure to and success with key customer service competencies, such as the ability to communicate clearly, listen, and empathize with customers while simultaneously adhering to protocols and guidelines.
- ServSafe CA Certification.
- Ability to exert up to 50 pounds of lifting force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Ability to bend, stoop, and perform extensive walking.Ability to see and taste food for quality.Ability to exert well-paced mobility to move quickly to the different areas of the facility as service and production demands require.
- Work flexible and demanding hours. Frequently work long hours completing widely diverse duties. Subjected to wet floors, temperature extremes, and excessive noise.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations. Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7631
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Requisition ID: 89362