Front Desk Supervisor
Front Desk Supervisor 🔍Residential & Dining Enterprises, Stanford, California, United States📁Administration📅Apr 30, 2021 Post Date📅89380 Requisition #ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $206 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 660 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, and Information Technology.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
The Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost for R&DE provides strategic and tactical direction to the business units across R&DE and ensures that consistent practices and policies are deployed across the business units and are in alignment with R&DE’s mission and vision.
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of the unit, leading and mentoring staff. Provide orientation and training to lower-level representatives.Provide input in hiring decisions and performance of workgroup.Act independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments.Serve as a subject matter expert for the unit Participate with other departments and represent the unit as needed.Process non-standard requests, initiate appropriate documentation and notify other departments and/or coordinate with outside agencies as needed.Handle the highest level of escalated and unresolved calls.Administer and educate others on the supported program, providing accurate information and updates to policies and procedures, improving overall customer satisfaction in the process.Determine whether disputed issues have been handled appropriately through substantial knowledge of internal policies and procedures.Work closely with others in department to identify and correct problems and make recommendations to remedy problems.Keep track of correspondence and interactions with customer using a customer relationship management tool.May act as supervisor in supervisor’s absence.
- May train and supervise other staff, volunteers, and temporary workers.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., to guide them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Resolve multi-dimensional matters in response to students in crisis, at risk, or who have other program issues, counsel students and parents on sensitive and confidential issues.
- May represent Stanford at public events, such as fairs, athletic events, and registrations, greet and serve as a resource on unit and general inquiries. Apply knowledge, expertise, and experience to resolve issues in a timely fashion, including those that are ambiguous and/or sensitive.
- Demonstrates leadership traits including effective communication, supervisory skills, and the ability to manage workflow.Demonstrates excellent problem solving and decision-making skills to effectively solve and respond to complicated requests.Excellent customer service experience and a proven ability to meet performance standards.Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing with individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds.Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.Able to use authority, knowledge, and judgment to effectively respond to complicated requests.Ability to multitask.Ability to learn policies and procedures and correctly provide that information to customers and use information to make sound decisions.Strong computer skills such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Ability to promote diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in the execution of role.
- Successfully combine hard (e.g., technical knowledge, critical and analytical thinking, problem solving) and soft skills (e.g., people skills, communication, such as active listening, interpersonal and intrapersonal relationship, teamwork, emotional intelligence, collaboration/conflict management) to meet position requirements.
- Demonstrates a wide range of people (or soft skills) to build and sustain respectful and collaborative relationships/networks, internal and external to R&DE.
- Demonstrates effective emotional intelligence, especially in situations with time constraints.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, perform desk-based computer tasks, use a telephone, and grasp lightly/fine manipulation.Occasionally twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, grasp forcefully, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 20 pounds, writing by hand, sort/file paperwork.Rarely kneel/crawl.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekendsMay work extended hours.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford’s colleagues and clients and with external organizations.Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4624
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Requisition ID: 89380