Laboratory Research Assistant
The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB), the Department of Otorhinolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery is seeking a Research Assistant to work on retina cell biology related projects in a lab which is a leader in vision and hearing research. This individual will be responsible for performing visual function assessment in mouse models, characterize their retinal structure and function, as well as perform other cell biology experiments. The individual will be working closely with a graduate student who will mentor/manage you on a daily basis with oversight from the PI.
**This is a FULL-TIME, CONTRACTUAL position**
Benefits for Contractual Employee:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 10 vacation days, 11 personal and holidays, 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB.
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance and research activities such as: general housekeeping, collection of cultures andbiological specimens for diagnostic testing and monitoring of animal health, and executing biochemical procedures such as: electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, immunohistochemistry, and confocal imaging, etc. May require performing psychological enrichment of certain species.
- Perform advanced laboratory research activities on variety of animals species such as: testing their visual function via electroretinography, live mouse imaging, viral vector based gene delivery in the retina, perform animal surgery, postoperative care, implantation or placement of medical devices, administration of pharmaceuticals and nutrients, including anesthesia, and perform euthanasia process. May participate in the design of research studies.
- Compile and may analyze research data using various relevant computer software applications.
- Assist with literature research, editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication.
- May perform administrative duties such as: training and guiding students and/or other laboratory technicians; assisting in developing policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation; and ordering supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Master or Bachelor's degree in neuroscience, cellular or molecular biology, biochemistry.
Preferred Experience: At least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate.
Other: May consider a combination of directly related experience and education.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected].
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Job Posting: Apr 30, 2021
Unposting Date: May 21, 2021, 10:59:00 PM