Financial Aid Specialist
Financial Aid SpecialistType of Position:
The position of Financial Aid Specialist reports directly to the Director of Financial Aid. The Financial Aid Specialist serves as the first line of contact to assist students with the financial aid application process (FAFSA), from filling it out to trouble shooting issues, to explaining their award process. This position is also primarily responsible for assessing and updating all verification gateway data and student verification processes.
1. Provides information to students, prospective students, parents, and professionals on the various financial aid programs and application processes on the telephone, in person, through e-mail, and at workshops and student orientations
2. Assists with the collection and review of all financial aid documents
3. Provides office support, including, but not limited to, typing, photocopying, scanning, filing, and shredding documents, entering data, handling incoming telephone calls, making outbound calls, working on projects across multiple departments, and making office supply orders
4. Manages the financial aid e-mail account, phone messages, text messaging service, flyers, updating the financial aid webpage information and annual documents and forms
5. Provides back up support to the Financial Aid Advisor, Coordinator, and Director
6. Advises students on availability and sources of financial assistance including Pell Grant, Stafford loans, scholarships, and other programs
7. Interprets to students the policies, the processes, and the regulations pertaining to financial aid and all aid programs
8. Participates in outreach activities and presentation of financial aid information to groups of students, parents, high school counselors, and/or the general public in workshop or training sessions
9. Work in a fast-paced environment with interruptions and noise
10. Supervises all student worker/assistants and their assigned duties
11. Performs other appropriate duties as assigned
Associate degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Requires two to three years’ of financial aid experience and work directly related to student services.
Requires extensive knowledge of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Experience with Ellucian Banner, NSLDS, and COD preferred. Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Able to work independently, but also have the ability to function effectively as a team member. Able to deal with stress and schedule of peak seasonal workload. Able to work some nights and weekends Ability to deal with students, faculty and staff members in a professional manner. Ability to operate telephone, copier, scanner, and fax machine. Must follow College policies and procedures.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.223.
Lamar State College Orange is an EEO/AA/TSUS Institution.Salary:
05/09/2021Open Until Filled: