Post Doctoral Associate
Postdoctoral Fellow, UMass Center for Clinical and Translational Science (UMCCTS) and The Business Development and Innovation office (BDI)
The goals of the UMCCTS are to accelerate the translation of basic discoveries into practical, cost effective solutions that improve human health and to develop and support the next generation of leaders in clinical and translational research.
The UMMS Business Development and Innovation office is part of BRIDGE and is responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive business strategy that promotes innovation, supports entrepreneurship, optimizes the institution’s research portfolio, and leverages the wide array of expertise and capabilities that exist throughout our academic community.
We are seeking to hire a postdoctoral fellow to join our efforts in developing, managing, and translating the institution’s research portfolio. This is a full-time training position intended to prepare a scientist interested in moving into business development, intellectual property, preclinical therapeutic development, academic administration, policy, or similar career paths. The postdoctoral fellow will contribute to or be responsible for a range of projects within the UMCCTS related to our NIH Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) grant. The individual will report to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Innovation and Business Development and work closely with the staff of both offices.
Example responsibilities include:
- Collecting, analyzing, and writing material related to the institution’s research portfolio
- Proposing and preparing visualizations of data
- Meeting with faculty, trainees, and staff to review research results for intellectual property filing or commercial development
- Developing or updating resources for internal and external audiences, such as trainees, faculty, or career development professionals.
- Contributing to development and implementation of existing and new curricula and training programs
- Pre-clinical development project management
- Preparing and managing events for both internal and external audiences
- Other duties as is necessary
- Doctoral or equivalent degree (currently held or expect to obtain shortly) in a scientific discipline
- Demonstrated ability to create timelines, meet project deadlines, assess priorities, take initiative, and operate in a flexible manner in order to meet the dynamic needs of the group and projects
- Demonstrated ability to interpret complex data and visually represent it clearly and effectively
- Demonstrated analytical skills and independent judgment.
- Ability to be discreet and handle confidential information
- Excellent computer/technical skills
- Ability to work within a team and independently
- Innovation, flexibility, and creativity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including professional correspondence
- Experience with the development of educational resources or curricula
- Knowledge of biomedical research culture in academic and industry settings
- Demonstrated ability to work with multidisciplinary groups
- Demonstrated ability to manage a broad professional network across academic, public, and private sector entities
- Experience using MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), web development tools, and social media
This is a two-year position pending performance and funding availability.
To apply, submit a cover letter and CV (or resume) as a single pdf to Nathaniel Hafer at [email protected]