Business Launch Specialist
Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Time Limited - Full-timeIf time-limited, note appointment end date:
06/30/2021Hours per week:
40Months per year:
001935NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
University Program Specialist - ContributingWorking Title:
Business Launch SpecialistSalary Range:
$31,888- $48,000Anticipate Hiring Range:
$31,888- $48,000FLSA Status:
Research & Economic Dev (Adm)Work Unit:
8:00 – 5:00 pm; Monday – Friday with frequent evening and occasional weekend hoursPrimary Purpose of Position:
This position is a business counselor, focused on providing advice and consultation to pre-venture entrepreneurs in an 8 county region. The individual provides business advice and counsel to clients as part of a statewide team that focuses on analyzing and interpreting their idea, determining needs, and applying expertise and knowledge to transition from the idea stage to business launch. The individual independently plans and executes marketing activities to recruit clients. Individual independently manages a client portfolio that ensures a minimum of 75 business starts annually. The individual collaborates with other resources necessary to resolve issues and ensure the success of the client. Counseling activity includes defining the scope of the work, defining goals, as well as the tasks and timelines to support the scope/goals. Counseling activity would also include on-going monitoring of progress to ensure accountability, making adjustments in recommendations, as unique situations arise. The individual develops and maintains relationships with entrepreneurial partners in the assigned region, with the intent to identify entrepreneurial clients and then to assist in a successful startup. Ability to travel required. Ability to work in evenings and weekends required.Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from a four year college or university and one year of program associate experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.Essential Job Duties:
(1) Provides general business advice and counsel to all size businesses in the SBTDC portfolio with an emphasis on nascent entrepreneurs. Acts as the Lead Counselor (i.e., case manager) and maintains a client portfolio consistent with the Regional Service Center’s annual work plan, the statewide specialized startup program’s work plan, and SBTDC strategic plan. As the Lead Counselor, this position is responsible for active management of each case in his/her portfolio. This includes autonomous decision-making based on an analysis of each client’s current operating and financial situation and appropriate team counseling with other general or specialty counselors. Case analysis may require financial analysis, comparative market research and/or use of other analytical tools at the counselor’s discretion. Maintain confidential, complete client records that are maintained in a timely manner.
Metrics: Business starts, client economic impacts, segmentation targets, case activity targets, customer satisfaction.
(2) Plans and markets seminars and conferences for entrepreneurs with an emphasis on cohort-based curriculum. Assists in the design and delivery of training programs sponsored by the SBTDC.
Metrics: Training event and attendee targets, training evaluation ratings.
(3) Develops and maintains relationships with entrepreneurial activities in assigned region. Examples include university Centers for Entrepreneurship, incubators, accelerators, collaborative working spaces, and pitch competitions. From this networking, enroll clients and manage conversion to “in business” within a short time-frame. (30-45 days). In addition, engage with and maintain strong relationships with SBTDC Regional Center staff and SBTDC Tech Team to refer clients when they transition to “in business”.
Other duties as assigned will be based on the Regional Service Center’s staffing level, assignment of specialty resources, unique campus requirements and programmatic requirements consistent with the Regional Service Center’s annual work plan. Duties may include but are not limited to oversight of student interns and/or teams and outreach, engagement, and other activities related to RSC and SBTDC statewide events.Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
Bachelor’s Degree and three years of program associate experience.
Experience in delivering or facilitating training preferred, public speaking experience required.
Knowledge of Entrepreneurship ecosystem and/or startup experience preferred.
Prior experience in a counseling or consulting role preferred.Work Location:
PORTAL BuildingPosting date:
05/30/2021Proposed Hire Date:
04/05/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
- The University of North Carolina System’s Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC), in partnership with the US Small Business Administration, is the recognized, primary organization through which the state of North Carolina provides business counseling, management education, and technology development services to help the business community successfully meet challenges, manage change, and plan for the future. This position is grant funded, and the current grant period ends on 6/30/21. Though not guaranteed, continued funding / grant renewal is expected as our program has received funding for more than 35 years.
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application.
- Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
- Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from being considered but may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
- These documents will be used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and professional experience.