Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-30
Title:1138-NN - Coordinator
Business Title:Personnel Specialist
Employee Type:Admin. Professional
Job Family:Administrative Professional - Not OT Eligible
Summary of Duties:
As a member of the College of Nursing finance and administration team, the Personnel Specialist is responsible for initiating, coordinating, organizing, planning, and managing all personnel functions and related activities including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, appointments retention, leaves, separation, records management, and international services/visa processing for the college. This position identifies, develops, recommends, and implements short and long-range personnel strategic initiatives to improve efficiencies while ensuring consistency and compliance with college and university policies and procedures. The Personnel Specialist maintains strict adherence to requirements of confidentiality with regard to HR and personnel matters as well as recordkeeping.
Recruitment and Retention - 35%
- Lead the development and implementation of college recruitment and retention policies and procedures for faculty and staff. Advise on policy related to all aspects of the hiring process for all positions.
- Research, direct, and implement “best practices” in recruitment, on-boarding, professional development, and retention programs for the college using (among other resources) the WSU and College of Nursing Faculty Manuals, the AP Manual, and the Business Policies and Procedures Manual. Provide recruitment and search expertise throughout the college for all positions. Serve as search committee hiring manager for searches within the college as needed.
- Research and recommend new advertising venues for effective recruitments. Develop strategies for broadening and diversifying search pools. Monitor and develop reports on the effectiveness of advertisements and recruitment campaigns.
- Develop, update, and maintain the college’s standard operating procedures and guidelines for hiring, training, and on-going employment.
- Approve search correspondence, acknowledgements, advertising plans, advertisements, evaluation documents, interview questions and reference questions. Direct placement of advertisements that are not handled through Central Human Resource Services (HRS) automatically. Oversee search committees and monitor search processes. Provide guidance to search committee chairs with reviewing applicant results and requests to interview. Communicate with central HRS to ensure that searches are consistent with WSU policies and procedures. Ensure recruitment processes are followed according to policy with the Online position description and recruitment system (OPDRS). Request background checks. Collect and maintain recruitment files in accordance with university policy.
- Meet with supervisors to discuss professional development and retention of current employees, promotion options, salary adjustments, out of cycle increases. Communicate applicable laws, university policies and procedures as well as college guidelines and expectations.
- Collaborate with IT Data Manger on developing and conducting employee surveys on orientation, professional development, and retention issues and needs. Review data results for trends and recommend and implement guidelines and actions based on findings.
- Process separations and all other status changes. Advise employees on options, resources, and requirements during status changes. Utilize WSU-specific systems and coordinate with other university units such as Payroll, HRS, and Benefit Services unit. Prepare and confirm completion of employee departure forms and actions. Complete exit interview with departing employees.
- Assess and review structure of units, evaluate for current and future needs, and recommend changes to administration and/or faculty supervisors to determine roles and responsibilities of a new position. Create new position descriptions based on operational needs and intended duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Assess, monitor, and respond to the various needs of faculty and staff in the college and units and coordinate the resolution of employment and/or employee related issues and concerns. Recommend new approaches, guidelines, and procedures to continuously improve the efficiency of college procedures and services related to personnel and business needs.
- Develop, analyze, and advise on human resource goals and objectives; prepare short and long-range personnel initiatives consistent with university and college strategic plans.
- Serve as primary point of contact between the college and HRS and Payroll Services. Exercise independent judgment and discretion to interpret and apply policies and communicate with administrators, supervisors, and employees regarding complex and often confidential personnel issues.
Personnel Records Management and Workday actions - 30%
- Maintain and ensure the accuracy, security, and confidentiality of all personnel records.
- Develop and maintain college organizational charts. Evaluate structure and recommend changes to improve efficiencies. Maintain active lists of position changes, hiring actions and job postings on website. Monitor actions and status through Workday.
- Advise managers regarding development and revision of position descriptions and performance expectations. Research and create new position descriptions based on intended duties and responsibilities for position. Recommend and manage updates to all college Administrative Professional (AP) and Civil Service position descriptions in Workday. Route and track status of actions through system until complete and approved.
- Coordinate successful candidate offer process through hire. Draft and route offer letters through Supervisors, HRS, Provost’s Office, and Appointing Authority as needed for all employee types. Confirm all critical aspects of offer letters are sufficiently and appropriately addressed per Provost, HRS and college expectations. Process Workday actions for all employee types – Faculty, AP, Civil Service and Graduate Students.
- Coordinate and track appointment status and end dates. Communicate with supervisors to determine intentions for continued appointment of temporary employees. Prepare and route appointment letters and emails. Compile and maintain information on current and past personnel.
- Collect and analyze personnel and payroll data and provide detailed reports on a scheduled and ad hoc basis.
- Work with CON IT office to prepare and submit faculty salary reports to external accrediting and licensure entities as required. Prepare other salary/employee appointment reports as requested by college leadership.
- Coordinate process and manage records on personnel-related functions and/or requests from HRS such as FML, shared-leave donations and returns, bereavement/emergency leave, and accommodations.
- Track employee time and leave in Workday. Review and conduct a monthly audit on the time and leave for college faculty and staff. Ensure compliance with WSU and state regulations. Communicate with HRS regarding pay affecting time and leave reports for events such as OT, LWOP, and extra hours.
- Collaborate with the Director of Administrative Services related to personnel financial commitments and activities made by the Dean.
- Serve as contact point for personnel-related matters, confirm appointment dates as needed, and prepare and provide confirmation of employment letters as requested for employees. Maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times.
Evaluations, Training, and Professional Development - 10%
- Develop and coordinate welcome process for all new employees for the units with the college. Responsible for coordination of all new employee orientation activities including but not limited to the distribution of new employee materials, enrollment in appropriate orientation sessions for the university, campus and college, and communication of required trainings and available assistance/benefits.
- Manage and track assignments for office/lab space, keys and building access, and telephones. Direct the processing of necessary paperwork for new college hires; ensure access to necessary systems and resources. Assign appropriate personnel to provide access to new employees as needed.
- Direct employees in securing appropriate career-enhancement training and Skillport registration.
- Coordinate tracking system for civil services performance evaluation completion, including providing supervisors with reminders, timeline, and materials to complete the evaluation. Serve as a resource for all college employees and supervisors concerning evaluations metrics, expectations, and performance improvement plans.
- Coordinate and track completion and submission of annual review process for civil service and administrative professional staff.
- In association with Assistant to the Dean, facilitate annual and premium background checks for faculty.
- Coordinate, track and regularly review records for the college’s employees for mandatory trainings such as FERPA, HIPPA, Sexual Misconduct, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in compliance with university and state regulatory requirements. Follow up as needed on deficiencies.
- Serve as primary point of contact for supervisors and employees on a wide variety of personnel related matters. Refer complex issues to the College of Nursing’s Director of Administrative Services and/or discuss with the university assigned HR Consultant.
- Research and provide announcements on professional development opportunities. Organize professional development and training sessions for staff. Track attendance and maintain metrics. Coordinate training with WSU Human Resource Services/Skillsoft. Help develop presentation materials and present at department/unit meetings when invited.
International Appointments, Students, and Internships - 10%
- Compose and prepare international visiting scholar/faculty invitation letters. Provide advice and resources to faculty wanting to host international scholars.
- Research, prepare and submit visa applications for new international hires and renewals. Communicate with international candidates/employees concerning visa questions, collect and submit required documents, track applications through US Immigration process. Interact with International Programs and provide assistance when needed.
- Direct the hiring of WSU and non-WSU students following university policies and procedures. Appoint students and temporary hourly employees in Workday. Complete on-boarding and required payroll paperwork for student and temporary hourly appointments.
Policy and Procedure Guidance - 10%
- Advise and counsel managers, faculty, and staff on employee relations issues including but not limited to standards of conduct, policies and procedures, performance evaluations, leaves (annual, FML, sick, LWOP, military, emergency/bereavement, etc.), fair labor standards, international services/VISA processing, etc. Consult and engage with appropriate central office as needed for complex issues.
- Advise committee chairs on search policies and procedures, attend initial search committee meeting to communicate university policies and confirm committee’s understanding that policies be followed, and recruitment checklists and candidate comparison sheets are completed accurately.
Other - 5%
- Other duties as required.
A Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to area of specialization and three (3) years of experience directly related to the specialty area. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, Management, Public Administration, Psychology, or other related field.
- Three (3) years’ experience with HR and/or personnel functions or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience working with an Enterprise Resource System.
- Demonstrated experience in report preparation and analysis in MS Excel and Word.
- Demonstrated experience working with confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Demonstrated experience with diverse clientele.
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, hiring and retaining personnel.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills as well as customer service skills.
- Demonstrated excellent organization and multi-tasking skills.
- Available to work occasional weekends.
- Experience with Workday Enterprise Management system
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Familiarity working with WSU’s administration systems.
- Experience with visa requirements and processing procedures.
Area/College: College of Nursing
Department Name: Finance and Administration
City, State, Zip: Spokane, WA 99202
Department Link: https://nursing.wsu.edu/
Monthly Salary: DOE
Posting Close Date: Applicants must submit their completed application by May 16, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
Screening Begin Date: May 17, 2021.
Background Check: This position has been designated by the department to require a background check.
Application Instructions: Applicants must attach the following documents to their online application: 1) resume and 2) cover letter. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements. Applicants are required to include contact information for at least three (3) professional references in the application.
Required Documents: Cover letter, Resume
Time Type:Full time
Position Term:12 Month
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or email@example.com.