Program Academic Adviser
Program AdviserPosition Number:
00004807Working Position Title:
Program Academic AdviserPosting Type:
College of Eng & Eng TechPrimary Function:
This position requires interaction with faculty, staff, and administration both on and off campus to maintain and enhance student support services. The position will provide advising to all CEET majors who have not passed the designated academic success markers within a primary department, but will also be expected to maintain an in-depth knowledge of all Engineering and Engineering Technology departments so as to provide flexibility within the Central Advising Office. The position will have minimal responsibilities of advising at the junior or senior level, which will generally be overseen by faculty. The position will ensure students are provided information and accessibility to the college and university resources needed to be successful. This person must have excellent verbal, written, and public relation skills. This person must have knowledge and experience in using Microsoft Office applications, OnBase, and MyNIU.Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
Primary responsibilities of this position includes the day-to-day operation of the College of Engineering & Engineering Technology (CEET) Central Advising Office, including counseling and advising undergraduate majors and minors, and assisting with all orientation programs, NIU
Open Houses, and other college and university events. This position requires interaction with faculty, staff, and administration both on and off campus to maintain and enhance student support services. The position will provide advising to all CEET majors who have not passed the designated academic success markers within a primary department, but will also be expected to maintain an in-depth knowledge of all Engineering and Engineering Technology departments so as to provide flexibility within the Central Advising Office. The position will have minimal responsibilities of advising at the junior or senior level, which will generally be overseen by faculty. The position will ensure students are provided information and accessibility to the college and university resources needed to be successful.
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of academic advising related experience in higher education or in Engineering or STEM disciplines OR Master’s degree with 1 year of professional experience in higher education, leadership, student personnel, academic advising in Engineering or STEM disciplines.
1. Master’s degree in any discipline
2. Prior experience with advising, counseling or teaching undergraduate students in Engineering or STEM disciplines.
3. Ability to apply student development theory to functional advising concepts, practices and methods.
4. Ability to work some evenings, weekends, and off-campus assignments based on critical advising cycles.
1. Customer and Personal Service- Knowledge of principals and processes for providing high quality advising services. This includes student needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of student satisfaction.
2. Administration and Management- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in the presentation and delivery of academic programs, strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, recruitment methods, and coordination of people and resources.
3. Active Listening- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
4. Critical Thinking- Using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weakness of alternative solutions or approaches to problems.
5. Knowledge of education, evaluation and measurement principles, practices, methods and techniques, as well as university policies and procedures.
6. Speaking- Talking to others to convey detailed information effectively; ability to develop a rapport with students.
7. Written Expression- The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing soothers will understand.
8. Ability to establish effective working relationships with students, faculty and staff.Working Hours:
M-F, 8-4:30Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$40,000Hiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
05/30/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected]. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Once this position has been filled, all names will be removed from the employment register in accordance with State Universities Civil Service System rule 250.60(h)(10).
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Program Advisorr for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: