Job location: Charlottesville, VA - Remote - Virginia
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-29
The University of Virginia VP for Finance seeks applicants for a Senior Accountant to perform professional accounting work of a complex nature. This position will execute institutional, state, and federal policies, procedures, and restrictions, ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) in executing, analyzing, verifying, and reporting transactions of a fiscal nature, and advise management regarding the effective use of resources and methods to maximize earnings. Senior Accountants are responsible for monitoring records of past and present operations and may serve as a project leader on special projects. Work is somewhat routine in nature and performed under general supervision. Senior Accountants are responsible for the same duties as an accountant; however, they operate with additional authority, independence, or level of complexity and may be asked to provide additional support throughout the Finance organization.
This role supports the function of UVA Financial Strategic Transformation (FST); ultimately reporting through the FST Financial Lead, Nicole Ferretti. This position offers a very generous benefits package and is initially limited to a 2-year term currently estimated to expire December 31, 2022. This can be a remote position, with the expectation of some in-person support at UVA about 1 week every month.
- Assign work to other employees engaged in general accounting activities, but is ultimately responsible for month end additions and adjustments as well as all monthly reconciliations.
- Support in the creation, review, and documentation of audit work papers and financial close procedures on an as needed basis.
- Aid in coordination of accounting matters with other departments, locations, and divisions including reconciliations and compliance related control measures when appropriate.
- Perform analysis of financial transactions, ensuring adherence with federal, state, and University standards and regulations and document associated business processes.
- Review and verify the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications.
- Analyze financial reports and records, making studies or recommendations on accounting reserves, assets and expenditures for the Financial Accounting and Reporting group.
- Develop or recommend accounting methods and procedures. Provide systems analysis.
- Work with other areas of Finance as needed, that include, but are not limited to cost accounting, sponsored research, leases and tax, and others.
- Aid in the creation of transitional documentation supporting current and future state considerations regarding Financial system and ERP transformation.
- Part of the FST functional team assisting workstream Leads in the timely completion of deliverables, end to end testing, etc.
- Independently research complex account matters, concepts, and processes and provide recommendations to Leads regarding future state design and considerations.
- Work collaboratively with other areas within the FST project (PMO, Reporting, Technical Team) as well as UVA (UVA Finance, OSP, etc.) as needed.
- Crosstrain with financial reporting team.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic there are opportunities to telecommute though periods of work onsite will also be required.
Education: Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field. Masters degree preferred.
Experience: Four years of accounting or auditing experience, preferably at a Big4 accounting firm.
Certifications: CPA, CMA, CFA, or CIA highly preferred.
Other: Expertise in Internal Controls, GASB accounting standards, ERP system implementation experience preferred.
Physical Demands: This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
Anticipated Hiring Range: Approximately $75K-85K, commensurate with candidate's experience and qualifications, with UVA benefits.
Please apply through Workday, and search for “Senior Accountant". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter (addressed to Nicole Ferretti) and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.