Communications Generalist - Sustainability
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-29
Sustainability at the University of Virginia is interdisciplinary, multi-faceted and highly collaborative, encompassing academics, research, and operations and a range of topics, including greenhouse gases, energy, water, waste, food, equity, and civic engagement. The Office for Sustainability is seeking a Communications Generalist.
The Sustainability Communications Generalist is a core member of the University of Virginia's Office for Sustainability team and will provide leadership in communicating University-wide sustainability progress, programs, and projects and engaging the community in sustainability through multiple modes of communication. The Communications Generalist reports to the Sustainability Director and partners within the Office for Sustainability and with others across UVA on overall sustainability communications strategies, maintains and develops the UVA sustainability website, and designs a range of engaging and timely content and engagement tools (such as posters, presentations, articles, newsletters, green tips, signage, social media posts, and case studies) - all tailored to a wide range of audiences. The incumbent also designs quarterly and annual sustainability reports to communicate progress towards achievement of the goals and actions outlined in UVA's Sustainability Plan.
Partner with Committee on Sustainability, UVA communications departments, and others on overall sustainability communications strategies and consistent messaging/branding across a wide range of audiences, topic areas, and purposes
Maintain and develop the UVA Sustainability website, including development of new content and maintaining up to date information (i.e. event calendars, blogs) using Drupal
Create and edit engaging and timely content (written, graphic, multi-media; i.e. articles, photographs, videos, tools, case studies, news releases, brochures, blog posts, infographics, social media posts, etc.) on University-wide sustainability initiatives, including operations, academics, and research
Stay apprised of UVA & area sustainability stories and compile bi-weekly sustainability newsletters using Mailchimp
Draft and edit documents (written, graphic, multi-media) to communicate overall progress towards sustainability goals in a timely and accurate manner (i.e. quarterly and annual reports
Create clear, engaging, and motivating presentations
Create and update branding frameworks for various sustainability programs, events, and initiatives
Support the Office for Sustainability team in drafting and editing materials (i.e. signage posters, event posters)
Participate in the sustainability committees or working groups as requested.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience in developing effective digital communication strategies across a broad range of communication functions, strong writing skills, strong graphic design skills, demonstrated ability to create and manage websites, and knowledge of sustainability issues.
- Demonstrated experience in developing effective digital communication strategy and a broad range of communication functions, (i.e. websites, social media, newsletters, infographics, articles, reports).
- Demonstrated awareness, knowledge, and strong interest in sustainability and environmental issues; ability to translate the University's sustainability strategic aims and programs into persuasive communications materials.
- A communications or digital marketing background with experience studying or working on sustainability issues is strongly preferred.
- Strong graphic design skills and demonstrated experience conveying information graphically.
- Strong writing skills and demonstrated experience writing for publication.
- Demonstrated ability to create and update websites – especially using the platform Drupal.
- Computer Applications: Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Drupal, professional graphic design programs (i.e. Adobe Creative suite – InDesign, Illustrator), social media, Mailchimp
- Demonstrated experience working in a professional setting managing several projects at once, working independently and as part of a team.
- Eagerness to seek out new communications opportunities in addition to responding to the request-revision process with colleagues and other sustainability stakeholders.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- A minimum of three years of professional experience in the fields of digital marketing or communications.
Budgeted hiring range: $50,000-$52,000, with UVA benefits. This is a full-time, 40 hour per week exempt position. We support workplace flexibility when appropriate but 100% remote work is not possible.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Sustainability Communications Generalist.” Complete an application online and include all required documents – including a resume/CV and cover letter. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile. Preference will be given to applications received by May 17. 2021 The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to their first day of employment per University policy. Please no email or phone call inquires. For questions about the application process please contact: Michele Jarman, Recruiter at email@example.com.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.