Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-29
The University of Virginia Library seeks a Reference Specialist who will provide access to collections for in-person and remote users.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, this successful candidate will work closely with three Reference Librarians on the Reference team. The main duties are responding to remote reference queries; working on the public services desk; and managing systems such as Aeon, SIRSI, ArchivesSpace, LibAnswers and other Springshare products, in addition to a local system designed to track digital images.
We welcome applicants that have gained related experience primarily through internships and student positions.
Small Special Collections staff are dedicated to the reparative work needed to fully represent and amplify marginalized voices in our collections. The Library values disability within the spectrum of human diversity and works to remove the physical, technological, and attitudinal barriers to ensure equal access to educational, employment and other opportunities. For more information about this important work being done at UVA Library, please visit our webpage here: https://www.library.virginia.edu/about-uva-library/diversity/diversity-plan/
Anticipated starting salary: $43,000
*** This is a one-year term-limited position. Continuation will be dependent on availability of funding and satisfactory performance ***
- A bachelor’s degree with at least two years of experience working in an academic library OR six years of related work experience.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrated strong collaborative and communication skills, both oral and in writing.
- Experience working collaboratively and independently with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing, team environment.
- Experience working in Special Collections or an archives setting.
- Familiarity with digitization and digital preservation.
- Knowledge of copyright, privacy, confidentiality, and ownership as they impact work in archival collections.
Applications received by May 1, 2021 will receive priority consideration. This position will remain open until filled.
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to their first day of employment per University policy.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0023672".
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, search for “R0023672”
Complete an application online and attach:
· Cover Letter detailing your interest in this position and highlighting knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences that support excellence through diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (Inclusive Excellence) https://eocr.virginia.edu/Contribution-IE-Applicants
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box.
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.