Coordinator, Communications and Events
Management Information SystemsDepartment Website Link:
1130 E. Helen Street, Tucson, AZ 85721 USAPosition Highlights:
The Department of Management Information Systems (MIS) is seeking applicants for a full-time Coordinator, Communications and Events. The selected applicant will be expected to plan, manage, and implement communications and events geared toward engaging the communities served by the department.
Department events frequently occur outside of standard business hours to include evening and weekend responsibilities. While the daily work schedule may be variable depending on the event schedule, the overall responsibilities of this position would still be completed within a standard forty-hour work week.
The selected applicant will work within UA and Eller brand guidelines to craft messaging about the department and its programs for specific audiences, including current and prospective students, donors, alumni, faculty, staff, companies, and corporate constituents.
This position reports to the Administrative Manager and functions as an integral member of the MIS Business Office team, but will also work closely with Eller College’s Marketing and Communications team for communication and branding consistency.
The MIS Department is one of six academic departments in the Eller College of Management at the University of Arizona. The department has been ranked in the top 5 in the field of information systems for over 30 years.
We celebrate the diversity of our students and are working to increase diversity among our faculty and staff. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. We believe diversity enriches us all, expands our understanding, and allows us to create better solutions.
Outstanding UA benefitsinclude health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance anddisability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAUtuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state andoptional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; andmore!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐lifeprograms. For more information about working at the University of Arizona andrelocations services, please visit http://www.whyua.arizona.edu/.
- Oversee all aspects of special events (60+ throughout the academic year) with up to 200 attendees, including invitations, catering, facilities, custodial, rentals, décor, entertainment, permits, beverages, volunteers, transportation, AV needs, videographer/photographer, staffing, publicity, and other relevant activities.
- Evaluate on-going and new events and recommend improvements based on interpretation of outcomes; use innovation and creativity to develop new approaches, methods, or techniques to improve event success.
- Responsible for coordinating event expense payments (via p-card, purchase requisitions, interdepartmental billings, etc.) in accordance with department and university policy and within department approved budget allocation.
- Coordinate extracurricular programs with weekly events for 200 undergraduates; track applications and participation.
- Following the Eller editorial style guide, write original copy for communications materials such as letters, news articles, brochures, email nurturing/recruitment campaigns, and web pages.
- Work with the Eller MarComm team and program coordinators to generate leads for graduate programs and recruit students; use Salesforce CRM as appropriate.
- Using the college’s enterprise tool, collaborate with the Eller MarComm team to create and post engaging social media content for the college’s and department’s channels.
- Maintain content on department webpages.
- Write and distribute a tri-annual e-Newsletter with articles about student, faculty, and alumni research and accomplishments.
- Provide written output such as departmental communications, website content, news articles, brochure copy, presentations, and other communication tools.
- Select and order imprinted promotional items for multiple programs.
- Work with Eller’s Development team, UA Foundation, and department faculty committees to coordinate the scholarship awarding process for undergraduate and graduate student awards in Scholarship Universe.
- Assist with the creative and strategic development of new projects, initiatives, and events.
- Coordinate with the Eller MarComm team on the creation of visual assets including photos and video.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience in graphic design and electronic delivery of content
- Experience in event planning and coordination
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, primarily Excel
- Experience working collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Master’s Degree
- Project Management experience
- Advanced experience with Adobe Creative Suite (including Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Photoshop), eNewsletter Pro (or other bulk email platform), and Drupal (or other CMS)
- Experience with Salesforce CRM
- Experience with public speaking to small and medium-sized groups
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
University OperationsBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$20.20 - $23.08Compensation Type:
7Career Stream and Level:
Conference & EventsJob Function:
University OperationsType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
5/31/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
4/12/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
- Applications must be submitted through talent.arizona.edu.
- Documents required to be submitted are a cover letter and resume.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.