Agriculture Worker II (Safford, AZ)
Safford Agriculture CenterDepartment Website Link:Location:
County Extensions and FarmsAddress:
2134 S Montierth Lane, Safford, AZ 85546 USAPosition Highlights:
This position will be stationed at The University of Arizona Safford Agricultural Center (SAC) located in Safford, Arizona. Incumbent will perform farm activities and minor custodial and repair/maintenance tasks at SAC, but occasionally will also be performing these at other locations in Southern Arizona dependent on department involved research activities at remote sites. Schedule is typically M-F 7:30-4:00 but does require flexibility to accommodate late night, overnight, and weekend irrigation schedules during growing season. Incumbent will be working outside in adverse weather conditions.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Produces and cares for crop fields and/or the equipment that supports the production and harvest of agricultural crops and products May load and drive or support proper functioning of trucks and other machinery which transports, prepares or harvests farm crops, supplies and/or tools. Performs duties as assigned related to agricultural production to ensure successful crop yield or other agricultural product. Prevents spoilage/disease, applies chemical treatments, harvests/cultivates fields. Position is also involved in facility maintenance, custodial tasks, and shop work involving minor electrical, plumbing, masonry, welding, and carpentry work along with mowing, weeding, raking, pruning, painting, sweeping, and mopping. Supervisors and works with an inmate crew of 1 or 2, in all department activities: farming, custodial, and maintenance and repairs of vehicles, equipment and buildings. Makes purchases using departmental purchasing card in order to procure needed equipment, cleaning and repair/maintenance supplies, farm chemicals, and other supplies as needed. Off-site activities: drives truck to transport farm supplies, tools, and equipment to and from off-site locations, assists researchers with data collection.
- Ability to effectively communicate and follow instructions.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- Schedules requires flexibility to accommodate late night, overnight, and weekend irrigation schedules during growing season.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- CDL license preferred.
- Experience in general farm operations, including siphon pipe irrigation, pesticide and fertilizer application.
- Experience in basic metal working techniques including basic welding skills.
- Experience in operations and maintenance of farm equipment, including tractors, cotton pickers, planters, sprayers and cultivators.
- Experience in planting, cultivating, and harvesting techniques.
- Experience in basic computer skills: able to log into websites and to access email communications.
- Experience in effectively recording daily activities as a means of documenting daily events.
Agricultural ExemptionFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Agriculture and ExtensionBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
2Career Stream and Level:
Agriculture & ExtensionType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
5/17/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Randy Norton, Director
(928) 651-0420Search Committee Chair
4/29/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.