Management Health Systems Engineer
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. Annually, Duke University Hospital admits around 43,000 patients and has over 1,000,00 outpatient visits.
U.S News & World Report consistently names Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Performance Services is a healthcare system engineering group that seeks a Health Systems Engineer to support the performance management and improvement services within the Duke University Health System and other entities across Duke Health.
*Internal consulting – supporting customer and organizational priorities with analytical support and project management.
*Operational and Clinical performance improvement - decision support, data analysis, and facilitating teams with process improvement methods.
*Performance analytics – creating metrics, visualizations or other solutions that turn data into actionable insights.
*Management engineering - guiding labor management processes/labor budgeting, and performing workforce analyses and productivity monitoring.
This position would consist of different levels, with varying levels of autonomy, accountability, and interaction within the organizations.
- Interacts with leadership and clinical teams to support performance and quality improvement activities. This may include team facilitation approaches to achieve desired objectives.
- Queries and analyzes data, develop visualizations and performs analyses. Guides information discovery and offers recommendations to enable effective decision making.
- Provides analytical/ad-hoc and project management support for various organizational and service line initiatives.
- Surveys internal practice and comparative industry benchmark to analyze trends and indicators in related areas of work. Develops strategies to help the organization achieve top decile or quartile performance.
- Supports existing labor management program. Develops work measurement standards and workforce assessments, identifies labor improvement opportunities, and partners with stakeholders on tactics to meet productivity goals.
- Supports the existing balanced scorecard program. Assists in the development of performance measures, target methodologies, and thresholds and ensure the accuracy of measurement results.
- Consults with customer on business needs translates business needs into analytics/reporting requirements, interfaces with the Infrastructure team to ensure successful delivery of reporting, dashboards and information tools.
- Safeguards the integrity and security of institutional data.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Self-starter and innovative problem solver
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Sound process improvement facilitation skills
- SQL proficiency a plus
- Tableau proficiency a plus
- Healthcare domain experience a plus
Preferred Education and Experience:
Work requires a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering or related field.
Level 1 Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering or related field. Master's degree desired
Level 1 No experience required.
Level 2 Minimum of 4 years of PS or related experience. Experience can be supplemented with a Master's degree with a Masters being equivalent to two years of experience. Or, with 2 years of Duke ME, I experience.
Level 3 Minimum of 6 years of PS or related experience. Experience can be supplemented with a Master's degree with a Masters being equivalent to two years of experience.
Level 4 Team Lead: minimum of 6 years of PS or related experience. Experience can be supplemented with a Master's degree with a Masters being equivalent to two years of experience.
Technical Lead: minimum of 6 years of PS or related experience. Experience can be supplemented with a Master's degree with a Masters being equivalent to two years of experience or advanced training is technical skills directly applicable to work assignment.
Job Code: 00005012 MANAGEMENT ENGINEER
Job Level: H1
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.