Assistant Academic Counselor
Temporary Staff (SHRA)Job Title:
Assistant Academic CounselorDepartment Name:
Acad Sup Prog Student-Athletes - 521000Vacancy ID:
S017646Position Posting Category:
Student ServicesHiring Range:
$15.00 - $15.00/per hourFull-time/Part-time:
Full-Time TemporaryWork Schedule:
Sunday – Friday; work times vary.Proposed Start Date:
06/01/2021Estimated Duration of Appointment:
6 months or lessPosting Open Date:
04/30/2021Posting Close Date:
05/14/2021Description of Work:
For the Assistant Academic Counselors for revenue and non-revenue sports, the Assistant Academic Counselors will assist Academic Counselors to support the academic needs of student-athletes and will assist in the day-to-day operations of the Academic Center, which may include but are not limited to the following:
• Meet with assigned student-athletes weekly to offer academic coaching in areas of study skills, time management, monitoring eligibility standards, and developing academic support for students by designing individualized academic plans.
• Conduct daytime and evening study sessions with individual and/or small groups of students.
• Compile reports (independent study hours, tutor schedules, academic performance, academic progress reports, class schedules, weekly meeting records).
• Assist with New Student Orientation and Summer Programming.
• Assist with data management and processing program evaluations and assessments.
• Assist with event management, e.g. Academic Banquet, Major Fair.
• Regularly assist any staff member in need of administrative support.
• Other duties and projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
• Master’s Degree in Education, Special Education, Educational Psychology, or a related field.
• Prior experience working with undergraduates in a university setting.
• Interest in issues related to student-athletes’ academic progress and transition issues.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Experience with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Available to work a flexible schedule including at least 2 assigned nights and weekends.
• Demonstrated effectiveness working collaboratively with a diverse group of students and staff.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Stimulus/ARRA Funded:
NoTemporary Employment Policies: