Horticultural SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range:
Monday - Friday 6:00 a.m.-2:45 p.m.; Some rotating weekendsJob Location:
Grounds & Building ServicesAbout the Department:
The Grounds and Fleet Services Unit provides campus wide programs and services and support for the University’s 2000+ acres of campus landscape, 14.6 million square feet of buildings and the 33,000 students and 7500 faculty and staff that make up the campus population. These programs and services include landscape construction and maintenance, comprehensive waste and recycling programs and services and management of the University’s auto shop and motor fleet. Revenue supported programs and services are provided to Transportation, Housing, Dining, Athletics, Campus Recreation and individual colleges and departments.Essential Job Duties:
- The primary purpose of the position is to provide grounds maintenance services for Grounds Management. The Horticultural Specialist Technician serves as a member of a grounds maintenance crew providing high level management and aesthetic quality to the landscape on campus within a designated campus zone. This position also assists with the annual and perennial planting activities, mulching, weeding, debris removal, bed preparation, pruning and sanitation. Additionally, the position may assist with turf related tasks such as mowing, blowing, edging, trimming.
- The Horticultural Specialist serves as a member of the annual mulching team and provides support for the annual leaf collection crew and inclement weather response.
- Position serves in a critical role and is essential to the operations of the University
- Position serves in a critical role and is essential to the operations of the University. May be required to work during adverse weather conditions and work even if the University closes.
- Use snow/ice removal equipment to aid in snow removal as directed by supervisors.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Special Qualifications: North Carolina Pesticide License may be required and can be obtained within six months of employment; North Carolina Commercial Driver’s License may be required.Other Required Qualifications:
- Must be able to verbally communicate effectively with supervisors and the general public and understand verbal and written instructions and other communications regarding work assignments and other matters.
- Experience with landscaping and grounds maintenance (planting, mulching, weeding, debris removal, bed prep, pruning, and sanitation)
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds frequently and up to 90 pounds occasionally.
- Three to five years experience in horticultural (planting, mulching, weeding, bed prep, pruning and sanitation) Knowledge of plant care and light equipment repair and maintenance.
- North Carolina driver’s license is required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
03/08/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Horticultural SpecialistPosition Classification Band Level:
ContributingPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $54,265Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure FailureTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
446801 - Grounds TurfAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.