4-H Youth Programs Mentor/Counselor Summer
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Mentors/Counselors for the 4-H Youth Programs are employed by KSU to serve as on-site, residential program assistants during the duration of the assigned program(s). Mentors/Counselors serve as campus guides, role models, chaperones, assistant teachers, and are responsible for the well-being of program participants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide full-time supervision to program participants (24/7)
• Ensure all program participants feel safe in the program environment
• Mentor student teams/group
• Complete tasks and provide leadership as assigned by Program Director or Lead Teacher or Dorm Supervisor
• Assist in timely arrival and departure to all activities
• Accompany program participants at all times unless dismissed by Program Director, Lead Teacher, or Dorm Supervisor (i.e. to the Health Center, to the dorm to retrieve a forgotten item)
• Follow and enforce Code of Conduct and Conflict Resolution Plan - assist with group and behavior management
• Assist w/ head count before departure of KSU campus and field trip sites
• Maintain highest level of communication with Program Director, Lead Teacher, and Recreation Leader
• Contribute to daily report
• Complete all reporting forms as necessary (i.e. incident report form, daily report log)
• Attend and participate in CPR and First Aid training
• Attend and participate in required skill building training sessions
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Must be in academic good standing with their respective university/college.
• Satisfactory criminal background check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Effective communication skills
• Experience Working with Youth
• Ability to manage minor conflicts among adolescents WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
• Frequent outdoor and physically active projects
• Extensive hours in case of emergency and during travel