Senior Multimedia Support Specialist
Campus Support Services, a department within University Services, provides event, performance, and venue support services for the Princeton University community. Campus Support Services is comprised of three units, Venue Services, providing facility management for mixed-use spaces, Performing Arts Services, supporting an historic concert hall, arts complex and theaters across campus, and Instructional Support Services, a unit providing audio and video support for University events, classes, and productions.
The Senior Multimedia Support Specialist provides broad audio and video technical services for the University community. With an emphasis on service excellence and technical expertise, the Specialist provides in-person, high-level technical operational support, technical repair and maintenance on AV systems and hardware, and direct support for faculty and staff. The Specialist is an expert technician, capable of operating, troubleshooting, and configuring multiple multimedia platforms. Working autonomously, and with decision making authority, the Specialist supports a variety of classrooms and event spaces, including McCosh 50, a newly renovated, large auditorium, in support of class and event programming.
The Senior Multimedia Support Specialist is a lead technical support specialist for classes and events, preparing the technology for use and operating the presentational, audio, and video systems during the class or event. The Specialist provides high-level operational support utilizing in-house and mobile software and hardware systems and equipment. With technical expertise, the Specialist operates multiple technology platforms including audio reinforcement, mixing, and recording systems, integrated room technology systems, computing systems, video conferencing systems, video capture systems, and multiple video displays, including projection and flat panels.
The Senior Multimedia Support Specialist is a subject matter expert who works directly with faculty and staff to develop support plans. With technical expertise and customer service excellence, the Specialist develops and recommends multimedia support strategies that will provide the best support for the programming. At the class or event, the Specialist demonstrates service excellence by implementing the support plan and working directly with the faculty and/or presenters to ensure their needs are met, including enabling last-minute changes.
The Senior Multimedia Support Specialist supervises student and casual supplemental support staff who assist the Specialist with technology preparation and in-person support. The Specialist helps identify classes and events that need additional support, assigns support tasks, and supervises the work.
The Senior Multimedia Support Specialist proactively maintains AV software and hardware equipment in classrooms, addressing and troubleshooting issues, responding to outages, and making necessary repairs and replacement. The Specialist provides advanced quality assurance support, commissions new equipment, and develops training and quick guides for users.
The Senior Multimedia Support Specialist provides exceptional support for users of the spaces and fosters excellent relationships with the University community. The position requires the ability to interact with various users across campus, and the capacity to adapt to dynamic, changing situations positively and proactively. The position has flexible hours, including nighttime and weekends, in order to provide needed support for classes and events. With a foundation of service excellence, the Specialist is a key resource for audio and video support across campus.
The Senior Multimedia Support Specialist is a member of Instructional Support Services, a unit within Campus Support Services. The Specialist reports to the Assistant Manager of Learning Spaces Support, within Instructional Support Services. The Specialist manages student workers and supervises casuals and external vendor staffing support.
A full description will be furnished prior to interview.Responsibilities
Technology operational support
- Provides high-level daily audio and video technical support for classes, meetings, and events, with a primary focus of McCosh 50
- Works in advance with faculty and staff to understand multimedia needs and develop support strategies and plans for classes and events
- Performs setup, quality assurance, and testing of AV software and hardware equipment and systems prior to use
- Serves as lead AV technician during the class or event, providing high-level technical support
- Operates, configures, and troubleshoots multiple AV software and hardware platforms and equipment, including audio systems, in-room integrated systems, video capture, and presentational equipment
- Demonstrates service excellence by working directly with faculty and/or presenter at the class or event to implement technical plans and to enable any last-minute changes
- Supervises supplemental support, including student workers and external vendor technicians
Technology maintenance and commissioning
- Proactively maintains technical equipment and responds to technical issues
- Provides diagnosis for hardware and software technical problems and troubleshoots solutions
- Provides short-term solutions to rooms with equipment issues to eliminate any down-time for the room
- Develops long-term solutions for ongoing space needs, working with campus partners
- Conducts training and information sessions for space users and supplement support staff, as needed
Other duties as assigned, including:
- Utilizes scheduling and work flow systems to log, track, and manage support requests
- As needed, provides billing support
- In collaboration with Instructional Support Services leadership, trains, and develops student workers, casuals, and external supplemental staff
- Participates in departmental meetings and trainings
The Senior Multimedia Support Specialist must be flexible and adept at problem solving. The Specialist must interact effectively with individuals at all levels within and outside the University, possessing good judgment and discretion. The Specialist must provide an exceptional level of customer service. The Specialist works with autonomy and decision-making authority. Due to the support for classes, this position is considered essential.Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3-years’ experience of audio and video technical support, operations, or production, or equivalent work experience
- Expert technical skills, including working capabilities with audio and video software and hardware systems and equipment
- In-depth knowledge of state-of-the-art and legacy audio-visual technology and the ability to keep abreast of developments in audio-visual technology
- Extensive experience in customer service with a demonstrated ability to skillfully manage all levels of customer issues
- Ability to conduct training and informational sessions
- Demonstrated experience of customer service
- Demonstrated experience of managing or supervising staff
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with a diverse customer base who possess varying levels of technical proficiencies
- Demonstrated computer skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Willingness and ability to work with a flexible schedule, including early mornings, late nights, weekends, holidays and long hours
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Valid Driver's License
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience working with students
- Experience supporting live events
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAWStandard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredYes Experience LevelMid-Senior Level#LI-ST1