CUSTODIAN I #00061209
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 36497
Hiring Department Physical Facilities - Custodial & Landscape Services Application Deadline May 6, 2021 Full Time/Part Time Full Time, Benefit Eligible Monday - Friday, 4:00am to 12:30pm Salary $10.19 - $15.81/hour Job Description Nature and Level of Work Perform routine, manual work utilizing knowledge of various custodial materials, equipment, methods and procedures used in maintaining a clean, neat and orderly building. May clean, sweep and remove trash from multiple campus parking garage structures, provide special services to the Chancellor’s residence and emergency support to the Special Work Assignment Team (SWAT). Responsibilities may include maintenance of designated buildings and related fixtures and routine repair of fixed equipment and buildings. Work is subject to spot checking for neatness, cleanliness and workmanship with periodic review for overall effectiveness. Functional contacts include co-workers, service department employees and all personnel utilizing building facilities.
- Perform duties in the care and cleaning of buildings (e.g., garages, offices, classrooms, entry ways, and restrooms).
- Clean floors (e.g., sweep, mop, and wax), empty trash receptacles, dust furniture, clean windows and other cleaning related duties.
- May sweep and shovel snow.
- May order cleaning supplies and equipment repairs as needed.
- May be assigned to work in areas requiring special use of disinfectants, cleaning techniques and sanitation procedures or use of special equipment (e.g., large sweeper, power washers).
- May prepare rooms for meetings by setting up chairs, tables and necessary equipment.
- May occasionally fabricate simple fixtures or devices for use in the building or assist superiors in fabrication of more complicated apparatus.
- May provide support for emergency responses and/or large moves/events.
- May periodically, check building equipment (pumps, motors, fans, heaters, furnace, etc.): perform necessary maintenance, adjustments and routine repairs of equipment including replacement of broken, worn or defective parts; report need of major repairs to superior for correction. Check gauges of building equipment for proper temperature, pressure, water level, etc.Clean and provide routine maintenance on equipment such as vacuums, gas blower, large lot sweeper and pickup truck.
- May perform building security duties such as locking and unlocking doors, checking windows, turning lights on or off, etc., report items that need repair to superior.
- Report damages and repair needs to appropriate staff.
- Report and clean graffiti from surfaces when found.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work may include one or more of the following:
- Working in areas of extreme temperatures
- Wearing a backpack vacuum for long periods of time
- Wearing protective mask and hearing protection devices
- Working around dust and cleaning chemicals
A job offer for this position is contingent on passing a physical examination to determine if the candidate possesses the physical capabilities necessary to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and write.
- A valid driver’s license may be required for certain positions.
- Ability on a daily basis to:
- Lift, carry and set down objects of moderate weight (25-50 ibs.)
- Grasp broom and mop handles
- Work around dust and cleaning chemicals
- Climb stairs, step stools and ladders
- Physical strength, coordination and stamina sufficient to perform assigned duties
- One year of general maintenance and custodial experience.
- Some knowledge of methods for cleaning equipment and buildings; mechanical ability for minor repair of equipment.
The final candidate is required to provide copies of official transcript(s) for any college degree(s) listed in application materials submitted. Copies of transcript(s) should be provided prior to the start of employment. In addition, the final candidate may be required to verify other credentials listed in application materials.
Failure to provide official transcript(s) or other required verification may result in the withdrawal of the job offer.
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
The University's nondiscrimination policy applies to any phase of its employment process, any phase of its admission or financial aid programs, or other aspects of its educational programs or activities. Further, this policy applies to sexual violence or sexual harassment, both forms of sex discrimination, occurring within the educational program and instances occurring outside of the educational program if the conduct negatively affects the victim’s educational experience or the overall campus environment.
Any person having inquiries concerning the application of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 or other civil rights laws should contact the Title IX Coordinator.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: