Job location: BYU–Hawaii
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-04-28
If you currently have a job on campus, please use the internal job board.NOTE: You can only have 5 open student applications at a time.
Job Description Summary
This accountant supervisor will be part of a Student Leadership and Service (SLS) accounting team. You will be assigned an account/s to monitor, update, audit, reconcile and regularly report on. You will be supervising and mentoring up to but not limited to 20-50 accounts each year. It is required that you are seeking a Bachelors in accounting to be hired into this position. Ad Hoc as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
Supervising, monitoring, updating, auditing, organizing, reconciling, and reporting on assigned SLS accounts. Quarterly, you will provide an accounting reconciliation report for the accounts you supervise in your stewardship. Ensure there are receipts for all expenses. All expenses must be justified and filed accordingly. Monitor your accounts to ensure expenses are debited/credited to accurate cost centers. Create journal entries as necessary to move credits/debits to the appropriated account if it’s in error.
Attend weekly accountant counseling sessions where reports are shared, updates are reported, and concerns are addressed. Reconciling, preparing and creating quarterly reports are scheduled every 3 months. Attend end of semester and annual accounting meetings to verify accounting reports.
Prepare and assist in providing accounting training to clients that they may better learn and understand the SLS accounting protocols and procedures. This training will help clients understand accounting commitments and obligations to keep accurate, clean, and organized records on their finances.
10% Ad Hoc
Supports the SLS Coordinator or Head of Department in any accounting needs they require from you or the accounting team members. The SLS Department is a unified operation of those who are seeking to become Christlike leaders in all they do, who they are, and what they represent to the rest of our BYUH Ohana.
Qualifications and Experience
- Previous financial area experience (e.g., auditing, cashiering, bookkeeping, etc.).
- Efficient in using Microsoft Office, especially Excel. Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience multi-tasking successfully on various accounting or financial projects simultaneously.
- High level of organization with an eye for detail.
- Preference for those who have completed any of the following Acct. 201, 203, 231, 356, and BUSM 320 and 242 classes.
- Excellent people skills.
This positions should result in developing good work habits, learning accountability and responsibility, taking pride in work outcome, leadership development and specific experiences which supplement training in the student’s overall academic experience. The specific learning outcomes for this position are:
1. Efficiently collaborates in Google Docs to track all operations in SLS accounts on a daily basis.
2. Experienced using Engage to track all accounting activity in SLS accounts on a daily basis.
3. Technically savvy in using Workday to track all accounting activity in SLS accounts on a daily basis.
Dress and Grooming Standards
The employee must abide by the BYU-Hawaii Dress and Grooming Standards. He/she is expected to dress appropriately for the position.
The student employee must agree to a minimum period of employment for 1 year, as determined by the employer, based upon the departmental needs. The student employee is expected to give a semester’s notice prior to leaving.
This job description may not comprise all duties to be performed by the employee. Management reserves the right to modify and revise information in this job description at will.