Head Coach Women's Golf
Job no: 495625
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Head Coach is expected to serve as the public face of the program, creating and maintaining a positive public image while recruiting and training Division I student-athletes to compete at the highest level possible. This position must also lead and maintain a Division I program through recruiting, on-court/field teaching techniques, scheduling, monitor academic progress, budget management, fundraising, as well as promoting the sport throughout the University and local community. This position shall have a strong working knowledge and understanding of all NCAA rules and regulations regarding compliance issues. Any violation of a conference or NCAA regulation, or University policy, could cause dismissal of a participant or staff member, as well as, create negative publicity and/or conference or NCAA standings to the program and institution.Level Scope:
The Head Coach position is responsible for all teaching and instruction provided to student-athletes. Responsible for sport budget management and accounts as assigned. Each of these functions entails decision-making that requires discretion and a significant degree of independent judgment.The coach must develop and maintain a competitive schedule that will allow the team to prepare and compete successfully in the conference, as well as, in post-season play. Requires significant influence and communication with executive leadership. Problems faced are frequently complex and multidimensional, requiring broad based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the organization.Essential Functions:
60% of Time the Athletics Head Coach must:
● Ensure the effective teaching and instruction of all specific technical skill areas to student-athletes.
● Coach student-athletes in their growth and development in the sport with techniques and fundamentals of their position and sport conditioning.
● Develop team and individual strategies to have the greatest chance of winning within the sport, through on-court/field teaching and video instruction.
● Design instructional programs for the team and individual student athletes and instruct student-athletes on how to implement a game plan as determined for each competition.
● Travel to events and evaluate potential student-athlete talent, correspond with all prospects via email, phone, face to face conversations, etc.
● Complete all necessary Compliance and Institutional documentation as required.
● Recruit student-athletes who meet University academic and athletic standards.
● Responsible for direct supervision of assistant coaches, all staff disciplinary actions, and any other personnel management duties as required to maintain a successful staff.
● Responsible for overall performance of athletes’ academic progress by working closely with the academic support staff.
● Work with the NCAA Compliance Office to make sure programs and student-athletes are complying with all rules and regulations regarding compliance issues.
● Responsible for successfully managing an annual budget including all necessary fiscal planning.
● Promote the program to the public including, media, donors, the University community and the general public to increase visibility and revenues for the program.
35% of the time:
● Manage the daily operations of the women’s golf program.
● Performs other duties as requested by the athletic administration, including but not limited to Athletic Director and Sport Administrator.
5% of the time:
Other duties as assigned.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Knowledge of NCAA Rules - This position shall have a strong working knowledge and understanding of all NCAA rules and regulations regarding compliance issues.
● Sport Experience - Extensive knowledge of individual and team skills with the ability to teach these skills.
● Recruiting - The ability to evaluate and compare athletic talent for potential growth and development of student-athletes. Maintain correspondence with a large number of prospects: e-mail, letters, and phone.
● Academic Monitoring - The ability to establish and monitor an academic system that ensures academic success for the student-athlete.
● Budget Management - Must be able to work within the budget given by the athletic department.
● Travel - The ability to plan, organize and execute travel arrangements.
● Computer Skills - This position is expected to have computer literacy.
● Communication Skills - This position is expected to have a high level of communication skills with student-athletes, prospective student-athletes, their coaches, counselors, parents and boosters in the community.
● Fundraising - The ability to develop the sports community in the areas of support and fundraising.
● Upon hire a NCAA Coaches Certification and 15 passenger van driving certification is required
- Bachelor’s Degree and collegiate/professional sports background and experience or equivalent
● Five (5) years of experience in similar type of work
● Experience coaching at the collegiate level
● Golf coaching experience showing a proven track record for an ability to develop student-athletes socially, academically and athletically
● Experience and understanding of NCAA Division I Rules and Regulations
● Knowledge of individual and team skills with the ability to teach these skills
● Excellent written, interpersonal and oral communication skills
● Administrative experience
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
● Cover Letter
Advertised: April 29, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: May 20, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time