Senior Associate Athletic Director / External Affairs
Job no: 495622
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Athletics, Development
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
Responsible for overseeing all aspects of external affairs for the Department. Collaborates with university and department wide college stakeholders to develop strategies to increase the level of support through various platforms. Position oversees program implementation, strategic planning, budget, and daily operations of external affairs.Level Scope:
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.Essential Functions:
60% of the Time the External Affairs, Executive Director must:
● Oversees all aspects of giving for the Department in order to broaden the base for philanthropic support from alumni, friends, parents, faculty, staff and students.
● Oversees program implementation, strategic planning, budget, and daily operations, to develop and implement communication strategies to promote and enhance the visibility for the department and university
● Collaborates with campus-wide stakeholders to develop and manage a comprehensive annual giving program in conjunction with university priorities to solicit key constituencies through phone, direct mail, e-mail website, social media, crowd funding and other mechanisms.
● Maintain a portfolio of major and principal gift prospects and donors. Be responsible for raising gifts at a minimum of $25,000 either through pledges, outright gifts, or deferred gifts.
● Monitor and analyze the results of annual fund appeals to determine effectiveness and for ongoing reports.
● Lead, direct and motivate department development employees in all aspects of relationship management and fundraising efforts.
35% of the time:
● Provide strategic direction, leadership and active participation to the external functions within the Athletic Department, emphasizing collaborative and unified work amongst the units.
● Oversee and direct the external units and functions for the Bronco Athletic Association, which includes major gifts, restricted giving, planned giving, endowments, alumni engagement and development; strategic communications; marketing and community/fan engagement; creative services; ticket sales and operations; and corporate sponsorship.
● Serve as a department liaison to applicable campus partners, including university advancement, communications, marketing, licensing and trademark, etc.
● Serve as a member of the Athletic Department's leadership team and be a Sport Program Administrator to support and oversee team/s as assigned.
● Work schedule will include evenings, nights and weekends, with travel as necessary.
5% of the time:
Other Duties as AssignedKnowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Demonstrated knowledge and experience of developing strategies to increase the level of annual giving support
● Ability to develop and implement all facets of a comprehensive giving program and revenue generation
● Experience in development
● Experience supervising, mentoring and coaching staff
● Experience in higher education and external relations
● Critical decision-maker
Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years’ experience including 5 years Managerial experiencePreferred Qualifications:
● Master's degree
● Experience working within external affairs at an NCAA Division I institution
● Proven experience and success in finding innovative and creative opportunities to engage multiple institutional constituencies
● Proven track record in revenue generation
● Organized, detail-oriented, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
● Proactive thinking with interest in developing and executing new ideas is necessary
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Resume and Cover Letter
Advertised: April 28, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: May 12, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time