Lead Payroll Specialist
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2021-052
Posting Start Date: 4/29/2021
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Additional Documentation: YES
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Lead Payroll SpecialistDescription/Job Summary
The incumbent will be responsible for payroll processing through the HP LAN System and Financial Management Information System (State Payroll System FMIS) in a timely and accurate manner. This includes all on-cycle and off-cycle payroll processing and ensures accurate submission of reports to campus and state system.Responsibilities/Duties
- Analyze, process, and maintain all payroll adjustments, leave payouts and corrections.
- Proactively identify any payroll discrepancies and resolve issues on a timely basis.
- Serves as the campus liaison to obtain information required for these transactions; resolving all payroll issues to ensure employees are paid in a timely manner.
- Meeting fixed and fluctuating deadlines while working mid to high volume payroll cycles to achieve work objectives.
- Processing of paperwork (PAR Forms) for all exempt, non-exempt, faculty, and students including new hire/change information and ensuring accuracy and completeness of the paperwork submitted. Document types could include faculty contracts, additional compensation to faculty, flat rate, secondary employment (dual employment), and award payments.
- Provides a high level of immediate customer service to staff, and faculty via telephone calls, email, or office visits for request such as needing forms and/or with payroll related questions-including conducting necessary research and taking action to resolve issues.
- Other duties as assigned to assist in the completion of the payroll/human resources functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3 years minimum payroll experience.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Independent judgment in resolving complex issues; knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work in a fast-paced, people-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers and software.
- Must be able to work in various work environments including remote.
- Degree preferably in Business, Human Resource Management, Accounting, or related field.
- Experience working in a Higher Education Human Resource position is preferred.
- Banner system and implementation preferred.
- 4 years payroll experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of COMAR Policies and Procedures preferred.
- Strong Excel skills preferred
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail