Posting Date: April 29, 2021 Posting End Date: June 30, 2021
Position: Internal Auditor Department: University Audit
Status: Full Time (Exempt)
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University demonstrating “Excellence in Every Way”, the ideal Internal Auditor will possess the willingness to use his or her expertise to assist in the university’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify and assess financial, operational, compliance, and strategic risks, and their reputational components, and evaluate the effectiveness of policies, procedures, systems, and internal controls to mitigate these risks.
- Understand current manual and automated processes and related internal controls operating centrally and at the unit level through research, interviews, observation, and testing - and effectively document these in process flows and/or narratives.
- Test transactions (utilizing automated and/or traditional auditing methods) and analyze results to identify the themes and underlying root causes.
- Develop practical and effective solutions to improve processes, systems, and the control environment and agree these corrective action with management.
- Prepare formal written reports that provide proper perspective and summarize observations that effectively communicate issues, control deficiencies, and additional opportunities to improve and mature processes and controls.
- Perform activities that include interviews, inspection, and testing to determine the implementation status of agreed-upon action items.
- Monitor project status and issues on a timely basis and report progress and issues to Chief Audit Executive timely and regularly.
- Work in a team and independently, and interact appropriately with all levels of personnel to build working relationships and establish a network of internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the higher education industry and proactively monitor and communicate industry trends and risks.
- Perform assigned duties in accordance with the accepted professional standards, using independence and objectivity; knowledge of accounting principles and standards, proper financial and administrative control procedures and good business practices, and ability to assess risk, relative to the proper application of controls.
- Develop policy guidelines for management action and financial guidance on issues as needed or requested.
- Document information and conclusions in an organized and useful manner.
- Ability to not only identify audit issues but also offer recommendations and solutions to the Chief Audit Executive.
- Perform all other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business or related field.
- A minimum of three years of external or internal audit experience or comparable accounting experience.
- Higher education industry experience preferred.
- Master’s degree in accounting/business or a CPA, CIA, CFE, and/or CISA designation may substitute for one year of experience
- Track record of risk assessment, problem identification, analytical problem solving, and issue resolution
- Ability to learn quickly with strong foundation in understanding and assessing processes and controls.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills with the ability to regularly present to groups
- Availability and willingness to work as needed outside of usual business hours of Tuskegee University.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and PDF
- Knowledge of and experience evaluating information technology general controls (ITGCs)
- Knowledge of higher education systems, applications, and software including Ellucian Colleague, PeopleSoft, and/or PeopleAdmin is preferred but not required.
- CPA, CIA, CFE and/or CISA are preferred but not required.
Commensurate with education, training and experience
Human Resources Department
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: [email protected] Fax: 334-724-4319
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of
employment. Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.