Financial Analyst (7709U) 17901
Financial Analyst (7709U) 17901 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 13, 2021.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). The Athletics Business Office is accepting applications for a Financial Analyst to join our Business Office team.
As a member of the Intercollegiate Athletics Business Office, the Financial Analyst will support a $100 million budget and support 50+ sport and administrative units. This position will be involved in the processing and servicing of budgets and the monthly reconciliation of the general ledger for the Department. This role provides financial planning and analysis support to the administrative and athletic units within the Cal Athletics Department.
- Provides analytical support for moderately complex financial services, such as researching operations budget discrepancies and ensuring compliance with external regulations and internal policies.
- Researches/gathers information from a variety of sources, summarizes information, and determines how to disseminate information.
- Prepares and distributes regular and ad hoc reports and analyses to include summaries of financial transactions, budget reports, etc. to for management review and decision-making.
- Coordinates and implements department budget allocations. Works with unit managers to create detailed annual budgets. Prepares and maintains department chart of accounts or other data management tools, and related business processes.
- Manages Microsoft Access alongside the Athletic Department IT team.
- Analyzes, prepares, and summarizes recommendations for financial and/or resource plans, including quarterly and annual planning requirements, operating forecasts, sources and uses, etc.
- Supports Assistant AD of Business & Finance in managing Controller's Office deliverables.
- Creates trainings, orientations, presentations, and other communications for end users, coaches and staff.
- Participates in audits of internal records and processes and prepares recommendations for changes as needed. Conducts reconciliation of expenses to campus records.
- Assists in the coordination of financial audits including the annual NCAA audit and EADA survey.
- Conducts or assists with researching, developing, and implementing new and changing business processes.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Thorough knowledge of financial processes, personnel policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of financial data management and reporting systems.
- Possesses advanced ability to effectively present complex finance related information both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Must be proficient in use of Google G-Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Must have advanced MS Excel skills including Vlookups and pivot tables.
- Thorough knowledge of basic accounting procedures.
- Familiarity with financial accounting statements.
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process.
- Highly developed interpersonal, active listening, and customer service skills.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, remain organized, balance competing and conflicting priorities and demands, and apply a high level of attention to detail.
- Demonstrates strong business ethics and sound judgment; superior communication, organizational and interpersonal skills; and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Experience working in higher education and / or a Division I Athletics Business Office.
- Experience working with Microsoft Access.
- Experience with Data Visualization tools such as Tableau or Microsoft BI.
- Familiarity with UC policies and procedures in Budget and Finance and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency with campus enterprise systems including Cal Planning and Cal Answers and/or equivalent systems with the ability to generate ad hoc reports.
- Knowledge of applicable NCAA and Pac-12 rules and regulations.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time career position
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=17901&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency