Executive Vice President, Health System Clinical Affairs
UNT System Overview:
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. We are growing with the DFW region, enrolling a record 47,000+ students across our system and awarding nearly 12,000 degrees each year.Classification Title:
EVP Health System Clnc AffairsPosting Title:
Executive Vice President, Health System Clinical AffairsDepartment:
HSC-HSC Health Administration-335001Job Location:
Fort WorthDepartment Summary:
The clinical component of the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, HSC Health is dedicated to improving the health and quality of life for the people of Tarrant County and beyond.Through education and research we push the boundaries of discovery as we keep patients at the center of our efforts. Training medical students and residents is a regular part of our daily clinical practice. Our patients have the benefit of expertise and added attention that go along with being an academic medical center. We are helping to make sick people well, and keep vigorous people healthy.
UNTHSC has put into words and action the values that define how its team acts and works together to reach its goals, purpose, mission and vision.
SERVE OTHERS FIRST – Encourage growth, well-being and success of each other and people we serve.
INTEGRITY – Uphold the highest ethical standards.
RESPECT – Treat everyone with dignity and compassion.
COLLABORATION – Work together to achieve shared goals.
BE VISIONARY – Create innovative solutions in the pursuit of excellence.
Our purpose: Transform lives in order to improve the lives of others.
Our mission: Create solutions for a healthier community.
Our vision: One university, built on values, defining and producing the providers of the future.
Salary Commensurate with ExperiencePosition Summary:
The EVP for Health Systems and Clinical Affairs (Clinical Practice Group and Clinical Enterprise) is the chief executive responsible for all aspects of the UNTHSC clinical enterprise, practice plan, community engagement, and other areas related to operations. The position is responsible for assuring optimal financial, clinical, and service quality for the entire UNTHSC clinical enterprise and Clinical Practice Group. This position reports directly to the UNTHSC President.
• Accountable for strategy, execution, operations and results for all clinical enterprise functions of UNTHSC (i.e. Clinical Practice Group, Mobile Care Programs, 1115 Waiver Program, Clinical Trials).
• Responsible for operating budget, Profit and Loss and supporting infrastructure for all UNTHSC clinical enterprise activity.
• Position the Clinical Practice Group as a clear example of One University, so it truly becomes an asset to UNTHSC.
• Ensure the Clinical Practice Group supports our four pillars: 1) Extraordinary teamwork; 2) Defining and producing the providers of the future; 3) Financial strength; and 4) Sustainable people culture; in particular, demonstrating strong financial performance to ensure viability and contribution to UNTHSC fiscal security.
• Work with the President, CFO, Deans, EVP for Clinical Affairs, and other key executives to develop and implement a performance-based compensation plan for faculty/providers, which will offer incentives for high productivity and disincentives for low productivity. Fully support the phased-in implementation of a contemporary physician compensation program to be fully-implemented by Fiscal Year 2019.
• In coordination with UNTHSC and System HR, ensure all staff within the Clinical Practice Group have a performance-based compensation plan that rewards top performance.
• Responsible for the oversight, strategic development, and integration of the Clinical Practice Group with other clinical enterprise functions of UNTHSC via the Strategic Roadmap. These functions include: the UNT Health self-insured plan, 1115 Waiver operations, clinical trials and professional services of the Clinical Service Research and Development Plan (CSRDP).
• Fully develop physician measurement tool that will allow all physicians, supervisors, and chairs to understand physician-specific, clinic-specific, and department-specific productivity including: clinical revenues, clinical billings, RVUs, patient satisfaction, direct and indirect expenses, days to next available appointment, and other key measures. The tool will support physician and clinic accountability and the physician compensation program.
• Lead and organize all negotiations for all clinical related programs, initiatives and contracts including managed care payers, and other healthy system partners.
• Review and optimize UNT Health clinical operations and recommend to the UNTHSC CSRDP Board and UNTHSC President, any changes that will decrease costs and/or improve performance of the clinical practice.
• Create and operate as a truly interprofessional Clinical Practice Group that includes all clinical disciplines.
• Serve as Chair of the CSRDP Board of Directors; managing the Board and stakeholder relationships, with transparency, integrity and professionalism to make sure there is a shared focus on creating value in executing on the strategy. The President & CEO will be the face of the clinical enterprise, managing messaging to internal and external stakeholders.
• Contribute to and actively support the five-year UNTHSC institutional strategic planning exercise and links HSC Health Systems strategic plan to the HSC Strategic Roadmap.
• Effectively leverage current infrastructure and develop a thoughtful plan for evolving infrastructure and org chart to ensure scalability.
• Support the growth of an IT strategy that supports clinical excellence, growth and
operational effectiveness through the collection of data, use of analytics and performance measurement through the use of metrics, with input from the CIO.
• Improve the capabilities at all levels of the organization through assessment and development of existing people and the recruitment of new talent. Proactively address succession planning.
• Lead creation of inorganic growth strategy taking into account market, regulatory and competitive dynamics. Identify and pursue clinical innovation focusing on education and research in the care delivery environment.
• Continue to disseminate and support the UNTHSC Vision, Mission, and Values.
• Provide expert, reliable and confidential counsel and guidance to the UNTHSC President.
•Board Certified Physician (MD or DO)
•Masters or other advanced education preferred (e.g. MBA, MHA, MPH)
•5-10 years in a leadership role within the healthcare services sector
•Demonstrated senior level experience leading execution
•Significant progressive higher education experience that includes administrative experience in the area of academic leadership, preferably in an academic medical center or health science center setting.
•Demonstrated commitment to the recruitment, retention, and success of a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, as well as diverse academic disciplines associated with a comprehensive university.
•Academic credentials and previous faculty teaching experience that merit a tenured appointment at the rank of professor in an academic unit within a university.
•Possesses a record of vision execution and leadership around institutional strategic planning for academic activities.
•Start-up or direct experience in product/service extension preferred.
•Board Certified Physician (MD or DO)Physical Requirements:
Ability to communicateSecurity Sensitive:
This is a security sensitive position.EEO Statement:
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Driving University Vehicle:
E041PQuicklink for Posting: