Associate Director of Corporate Relation / Development Officer II
Job descriptionJob no: 702103
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 14
Major Administrative Unit / College: University Advancement
Department: Asc Vice Pres For University Development 10069230
Sub Area: AP- Professionals
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Financial/Accounting, PR/Media/Graphics/Comm/Fund Raising, Union, Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Administrative/Business/Professional
Associate Director of Corporate RelationPosition Summary
The Associate Director of Corporate Relations is responsible for maintaining a portfolio of 75-100 corporate relationships for Michigan State University in key sectors relating to the University’s strengths. The position’s main priority will be engaging corporations to support the students, faculty, and community of Michigan State University through holistic and collaborative partnerships:
Cultivation, Solicitation, and Stewardship
- Meet with targeted corporations learning about their plans and interests with the objective of identifying and building significant alliances for the University across the spectrum of the relationship including philanthropy, research partnerships, educational opportunities and talent.
- Evaluate and pursue potential new major corporate relationships in areas such as manufacturing, information and educational technology.
- Maintain a strategic travel and communications schedule with new and existing corporate partners to build and enrich the University’s relationships with them.
- Identify and build relationships with key alumni/friends within target corporations in order to seek advice and assistance in relationship building, charitable gifts and research funding.
- Coordinate, edit and submit multi-college proposals for annual and special project support from corporate prospects.
- Coordinate with appropriate MSU offices on the implementation of corporate alliances, stewardship of relationships and solicitation of funds.
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Become conversant with the University’s strengths and current corporate relationships with assigned prospect companies.
- Understand and become knowledgeable about critical trends and interests of corporations and industries and seek alignment with university initiatives and needs
- Create opportunities for regular and substantive contact between high-level corporate executives and appropriate administrators, colleges, directors and key faculty.
- Establish effective working relationships with University Advancement colleagues, college deans, development staff, the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation and MSU Business-CONNECT. This requires a person who is experienced and comfortable in working across administrative boundaries in an open and collegial environment.
- Take the lead in collaboration with appropriate University partners in developing a coordinated strategy to engage target corporations with the University’s programs/researchers/educational mission and solicit philanthropic support.
Reports to the Senior Director of Corporate Relations.Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing and/or Business; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in public relations, volunteer administration, professional and higher education fund raising, marketing or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and will be team-oriented. She/he will have a demonstrated ability to establish and manage multiple business relationships with complex, multifaceted organizations successfully and simultaneously. Individuals sought for this role will have the ability to understand quickly and translate clearly and succinctly faculty research and its value to potential funders.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field highly desirable.
- Three to Five years demonstrated and progressively more responsible experience working within higher education in corporate relations or the private sector in university relations, business development
- Demonstrated experience in managing business relationships in a role such as account manager is desirable.
- Broad industry knowledge in major sectors such as manufacturing and technology is desirable.
- Experience and level of sophistication needed to deal with high level management in the corporate or education sector.
- Must be a goal-oriented self-starter and an accomplished problem solver.
- Knowledge of university/industry intellectual property issues is highly desirable.
- Must be team oriented/collaborative.
- Excellent verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a complex institution.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover LetterWork Hours
Work hours are 8AM to 5PM with some nights and weekendsBidding eligibility ends on 5/4/2021 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Apr 28, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: May 31, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time