Benefits Specialist II
Job no: 516502
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Human Resources
Department:62010200 - HR-BENEFITS
Benefits Specialist IIJob Description:
UFHR is seeking a relationship-oriented professional with proven experience providing preeminent customer service to join our Benefits Team. Effective communication coupled with a commitment to inclusivity and respect forms the foundation for our team’s success. The chosen candidate will assist employees to enroll in, manage, and understand a complex array of State and University insurance and retirement benefits throughout the employment lifecycle. They will act with a sincere sense of service as a resource to employees as they navigate significant life events. In addition, they will foster sincere relationships both internally to UFHR and with UF units, departments, and colleges. This is an outstanding opportunity to contribute to the Gator Good as an integral member of a team that has a direct impact on each and every UF employee.
• Benefits - Provide University of Florida (UF) employees benefit plan eligibility details, enrollment instructions, and advise as to how premiums are collected. Respond to questions regarding Affordable Care Act (ACA) measurement processes and reemployment guidelines. Request payroll deduction adjustments for underpayments and refunds. Process and validate Domestic Partner enrollment. Researches premium variances to determine nature and corrective action, Notify new employees of benefit eligibility and provide enrollment instructions.
• Answer telephone calls, emails, and meet face-to-face with UF employees inquiring about health insurance and other fringe benefits. Research and solve complex eligibility, premiums, and system problems and complaints. Assist UF employees in obtaining general information about benefits, retirement, leave, retirement loans/hardships, and cash outs.
• Retirement - Provide Optional Retirement Program (ORP), Florida Retirement System (FRS), and Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP) retirement enrollment counseling to eligible employees. Send ORP-eligible employees retirement plan options and required timelines. Explain mandated state retirement contributions. Assist employees in completing retirement forms accurately, collect required supporting documentation, prepare estimated monthly benefit reports, certify retirement date, and coordinate submission with State Division of Retirement (DOR). Provide employees detailed instruction for benefits as they transition from active to retiree or COBRA coverage. Provide instructions and criteria to employees applying for Disability Retirement.
• Responsible for communicating ORP procedures for enrollments and changes with the ORP approved providers. Consult with the Benefits Manager or Assistant Director of Benefits (as needed) on ORP eligibility matters requiring Division of Retirement (DOR) intervention. Provides Florida Retirement System (FRS) eligibility counseling to USPS, TEAMS, and academic employees.
• Advise employees of voluntary retirement savings options, plan limits, and enrollment steps and responds to follow-up inquiries. Assist employees in obtaining general information about benefits, retirement, leave, retirement loans/hardship withdrawals, and leave cash-outs.
• Ensure enrollments/qualifying status changes/terminations for employee benefits are processed in PeopleSoft and with appropriate vendors, including enrollment. Collect Qualifying Status Change (QSC) supporting documentation, create appropriate system event, and request appropriate payroll deduction adjustments and refunds. Provide benefits enrollment/termination instructions for QSCs. Coordinate premium adjustments for new hires and benefit changes
• Leaves of Absence - Advise employees and/or departments regarding continuation of benefits during approved leaves of absence. Counsel employees about the option of maintaining insurance during approved leaves of absence and calculates premiums based on the leave taken. Assist with addition of dependents, changes of coverage, etc. resulting from leave of absence. Re-enroll employees upon return from leave. Correspond with employees and vendors regarding premium payment problems.
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.Expected Salary:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft
- Knowledge of People First
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook
- Knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of Word
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (for successful communication with the UF community)
- Ability to manage a wide variety of processes
- Ability to provide meaningful guidance and leadership
- Firm commitment to customer service
- Client sensitivity
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
This requisition will be used to fill multiple positions.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 28 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 12 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time