Edison State Community College invites qualified candidates to apply for the full time position of Controller. The Controller serves as the chief accounting officer and has primary responsibility for the College’s accounting and financial reporting functions. He/she maintains the general ledger and the budget in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller provides oversight over the Business Office functions including payroll, cash management, accounts payable, purchasing, accounts receivable, and billing.
To be considered candidates should include cover letter, resume, transcripts, and three professional references when completing their online application.
Edison State Community College is an EOE/AA Employer
- Prepares monthly financial statements for the President’s Cabinet and the Board of Trustees in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards and in a timely manner.
- Prepares annual, audited financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) standards.
- Prepares financial statements for the Management Discussion and Analysis for the Annual Report and assists the Vice President with the narrative.
- Works with the independent auditors to finalize annual financial statements.
- Prepares and submits the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) to the Auditor of the State of Ohio.
- Prepares quarterly financial information in fund accounting format submitted to the Ohio Board of Regents.
- Prepares quarterly/annual financial reports for various grants.
- Prepares annual financial reports in fund accounting format and submits them to the Ohio Board of Regents through the HEI system.
- Prepares financial portion of Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).
- Assists the Director of Institutional Research with the Higher Learning Commission Financial Survey and similar reports.
- Continually strives to improve the accuracy, timeliness, and conformance to GAAP of financial statements.
- Monitors GASB pronouncements and implements those which are applicable to the College.
- Responsible for recommending, implementing, and monitoring compliance with accounting and control policies imposed by the Ohio Revised code and the Auditor of the State of Ohio.
- Maintains chart of accounts to match the organizational structure, requirements for GASB financial reporting and fund accounting reporting to educational oversight agencies.
- Prepares month-end, year-end, and closing journal entries in compliance with GAAP.
- Maintains the operational integrity of the accounting information system.
- Responsible for the College’s compliance with GAAP, GASB, and regulations as imposed by the state and federal government.
- Maintains accounting and internal control procedures for payroll.
- Supervises payroll operations.
- Prepares and/or reviews quarterly and annual payroll reports required by the IRS and state agencies.
- Prepare W-2’s, 1099’s and related year end reports.
- Maintains accounting and internal control procedures for accounts receivable and student accounts.
- Oversees the supervision of student billing processes.
- Reviews and approves all student appeals for tuition refunds.
- Performs the analysis of bad debt accruals/write-offs.
- Submit grantors payment requests.
Accounts Payable and Purchasing
- Approves all purchase orders, certifying the availability of funds.
- Approves disbursements for taxes and other monies withheld from employees’ pay to third party creditors and to federal, state and local government.
- Maintains accounting and internal control procedures for A/P and purchasing.
- Supervises purchasing operations.
- Manages cash flow to maintain adequate cash for disbursement.
- Invests college funds.
- Works with the Vice President of Administration and Finance to assist with the development of the budget.
- Serves as an integral member of the budgeting team.
- Monitors spending to keep spending within College and departmental budgets.
- Prepares budget adjustments per budget responsible person as requested.
- Other budgeting functions as assigned by the Vice President of Administration & Finance.
- Prepares monthly, financial forecast.
Assists the Vice President of Administration and Finance with data gathering and account analysis.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Personal Qualifications:
Working knowledge of GASB pronouncements and GAAP.
Working knowledge of fund accounting.
Working knowledge of internal control best practices.
Prior experience with or demonstrated ability to learn ERP/accounting systems.
Ability to use Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and similar office productivity tools.
Ability to learn new information technology tools.
Ability to communicate with others effectively both verbally and in writing.
Ability to work with others with diverse perspectives and abilities.
Ability to work on multiple projects and tasks.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Personal Qualifications:
Ability to use Elucian (Datatel) Colleague with either
Knowledge of OBOR and Department of Education reporting requirements.
Experience with or ability to create financial reports in Synoptix.
Five or more years of accounting experience.
Experience in accounting or auditing in a public entity, preferably for a college or university.
Experience supervising an accounting function.
Required Educational Background:
Bachelor’s in accounting or Bachelor’s degree in another field is acceptable if candidate holds a Master’s degree in accounting.
Preferred Educational Background:
Master’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
Certified Public Accountant (or equivalent) in good standing and up-to-date on continuing education requirements.
Supervises the following staff:
Business Office Manager/Accountant
Purchasing Coordinator and Grants Accountant