Job ID: 2021-12666
# of Openings: 1
Category: Maintenance and Custodial Services
The Lead Custodian is a member of Facilities Operations and is responsible for all phases of cleaning within the University. Work sites will vary but do include dormitories, athletic buildings, lab/research areas, academic buildings and office areas. Typical tasks will include dusting, mopping the floor, cleaning restrooms, replenishing bathroom supplies, trash removal, vacuuming and extracting carpets, stripping and refinishing of floors, changing light bulbs, and setting up chairs and tables for special events/meetings.
Additionally, they are responsible for the running and leadership of the shift in the absence of Supervisor. When the Supervisor is present, the lead worker may also be responsible for directing smaller work groups. While this position does not have disciplinary authority, the Lead Custodian will report performance issues to the Supervisor. We have multiple positions available in the following work schedules (shifts). Monday through Friday5:00am - 1:30pm7:00am - 3:30pm
- Clean bathrooms and fill all dispensers.
- Clean light fixtures and change light bulbs within the reach of a 6’ ladder.
- Empty trash receptacles. Transfer trash and recyclables to dumpster sites.
- Mop, vacuum, extract, and burnish floor surfaces.
- Inspect assigned work areas for maintenance, cleaning and safety needs.
- Clean stairwells and elevators.
- Spot clean windows.
- Clean building exterior of cigarette butts and debris and shovel snow within the immediate vicinity of a building entrance.
- Set up furniture for special functions.
- Check fire extinguishers.
- Dust wall and horizontal surfaces.
- Extract carpets; strip and refinish floors.
- Distributes exam books.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Shovel snow and remove ice from building entrances.
- Operate scooters/golf carts for transporting personnel, trash, materials, etc.
- Work overtime as needed.
- Manually transport furniture.
- Must be able to comprehend written and oral instructions in English.
- Must be able to operate manual and power janitorial equipment.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License for driving University golf carts/scooters.
- Must be able to work overtime; before start of shift, at end of shift, weekends, etc.
- Previous custodial experience, with experience leading preferred.
- Stand or walk 2-4 hours at one time for 6-8 hours per day.
- Lift or carry up to 10 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday).
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday) and in a range of motions from floor to shoulder height.
- Lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead.
- Push or pull using forces up to 10 pounds constantly (over 66% of the workday).
- Push or pull using forces up to 60 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday).
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, pushing, or pulling.
- Bend, push, or pull frequently (33-66% of the workday).
- Squat, knell, climb, reach overhead, or lift overhead occasionally (up to 33% of the workday).
- Climb stairs, climb a 6-foot ladder, shovel snow, and work outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Possess full range of body motions and physical agility.