Executive Assistant, Senior
Job Title: Executive Assistant, Senior
Location: VP Advancement
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605379
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
In addition to your application, submit 1) cover letter stating why you are interested in the position and how your experience and education qualifies you for the position 2) current resume, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
The Assistant to the Vice President of NAU Advancement and Executive Director of the NAU Foundation supports the Vice President’s day-to-day operations, manages the VP’s calendar, arranges meetings, complex travel, and develops and analyzes reports. This highly visible role is responsible for maintaining consistent high-level interactions and communications with NAU’s top donors, loyal ambassadors, and internal stakeholders. The position is expected to be knowledgeable in and navigate multiple software solutions concurrently. The Assistant to the Vice President works closely with division leadership to execute the division’s strategic priorities moving NAU’s mission forward. The ideal candidate will be able to anticipate needs, remain organized under pressure, and represent the Vice President and his/her office in both internal and external meetings as needed. As a highly skilled business professional, this position offers primary support to the NAU Foundation Board of Directors and its committees. This dynamic, fast-paced position requires the ability to think critically and offer solutions to problems with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Provide administrative support to the Vice President.
- Serve as the primary liaison and de-facto secretary for the Foundation Board of Directors providing administrative support to the Board and its committees.
- Schedule and prepare for quarterly board meetings and regular meetings of the Executive Committee and three board committees to include preparing agendas, materials, minutes.
- Provide administrative support as needed to individual board members.
- Composes verbal and written communication with board members and their staff.
- Manages all relevant board processes such as recruitment, orientation, terminations, maintaining accurate information such as committee lists, listservs, contact information, meeting attendance.
- Manage all content and training of a Foundation board portal.
- Arrange complex travel schedules for the Vice President and processes all required travel documents in accordance with the university travel policies and procedures.
- Manage the Vice President’s calendar. Prioritize and arrange meetings, conferences, appointments and travel for the Vice President.
- Interface with senior-level university administration and other high-level external university constituents and donors.
- Work closely with Advancement | Foundation administrative team to achieve common goals.
- Compiles complex prospect briefs/profiles for the Vice President.
- Transcribes and enters contact reports into Ellucian software.
- Creates reports using Ellucian software for the Vice President.
- Researches, summarizes and analyzes information; calculates statistics and compiles data to prepare special and recurring reports containing specialized or sensitive information.
- Provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge of university and department policies, procedure and operations to internal and external constituents.
- Answers inquiries and composes correspondence on own initiative on general and technical matters in accordance with established guidelines and forwards other items to supervisor or appropriate staff.
- Plans and arranges conferences or meetings under general instructions from supervisor; communicates arrangements to appropriate individuals.
- Acts as primary contact for assigned function with outside organizations or other departments; responds to technical administrative questions and ensures necessary follow up.
- Evaluate and resolve typical administrative/operational functions to ensure effectiveness and compliance with university policies and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree AND two years of directly related administrative experience supporting a senior executive; OR
- Six years of directly related administrative experience supporting a senior executive; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Knowledge of NAU’s practices and procedures.
- Experience working with non-profit boards, university foundation or governing boards, college advisory boards.
- Experience working in a higher education setting.
- High-level computer and software proficiency with Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel, Zoom, and a variety of databases.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of office and administrative practices and principles.
- Ability to take ownership of responsibilities and anticipate the needs of the Vice President.
- Skill in developing and maintaining great sustainable relationships.
- Ability to effectively communicate with executives and donors.
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Skill in computer, software and database use.
- Resourceful and is able to problem solve and make informed decisions.
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $54,779 - $68,474.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.