Life Science Research Professional 1
Life Science Research Professional 1
Job Number: 89350
The Department of Neurosurgery, Dr. Wang's Lab, seeks a Life Science Research Professional I to join research on a drug discovery project towards the development of new therapies for Parkinson's disease. The LSRP1 would perform research in drug discovery and development, and manage the lab and maintaining lab stocks.
The LSRP1 will be responsible for assisting senior laboratory members in running a high throughput drug discovery screen and drug development, and banking human cell lines. In this role, the LSRP1 is expected to culture and handle mammalian cells including iPSCs, learn to correctly and independently use high throughput screening equipment. Additional tasks would include: immunocytochemistry, microscopy and basic molecular biology and biochemistry techniques. The LSRP1 would need to independently conduct and run experiments, as well as manage day to day tasks in the lab. The LSRP1 is expected to be responsible for maintaining lab fly and cell stocks.
Lab website: http://med.stanford.edu/xinnanwanglab.html
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field
- Proficiency with basic molecular biology techniques, such as gel electrophoresis and immunocytochemistry.
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture techniques, immunocytochemistry and microscopy.
- Experience with high throughput screening, fly pushing, and/or lab management is a plus.
- Highly motivated, dedicated, and independent.
- Strong team player.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Department URL: http://neurosurgery.stanford.edu
- Requisition ID: 89350
Location: School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency