Job Number: 89330
Stanford Libraries is looking for a full time Shipper/Receiver to join our Facilities Services team. The Libraries values are rooted in a commitment of mutual respect and the idea that every member of the staff has something to contribute, and that learning is constant. We seek a team member who is ready to share their skills and perspectives and collaborate with colleagues across the organization.
About Stanford Libraries:
Stanford Libraries is a network of over 15 libraries with over 400 employees. We are committed to fueling the teaching, learning and research across Stanford by acquiring, stewarding, and making available a robust collection, currently in excess of 12 million items. Everyone in the organization plays a vital role in fulfilling that objective. Our dedication to discoverability and information management also has us engaged in dynamic global partnerships. We are constantly building and strengthening our organization, and we recognize striving for excellence is a marathon and not a sprint. We are constantly trying to strike the right pace, and admit there are times when we find ourselves at a fast jog. While we hope to always find candidates who fit within our organization, what we truly seek is someone who will add to our culture, our profession as well as the greater academic arena. We are invested in the success of our teams and the individuals who represent Stanford Libraries.
- Work is performed following standard procedures, with spot-check of results.
- Employees use initiative in scheduling work and selecting procedures to assure proper handling of priority and other special cases and to optimize workflow.
The duties listed under this section are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the classification.
- Receive deliveries from off-site vendors; pay COD and customs charges. May scan using automated or local tracking system to ensure delivery.
- Check delivery to make sure item(s) are correct and the quantity is as listed.
- Uncrate and check furniture and other large items for visible and hidden damages.
- Check received items for visible damage; record each delivery.
- May deliver received items or forward to delivery service.
- May operate forklifts, trucks, and other material handling equipment.
- Adhere to safety rules.
- Prepare a wide variety of sizes and types of items for world-wide shipping, including proper labeling and customs declarations.
- Prepare and package items using methods and material most appropriate to the item being shipped; determine shipping costs. Select freight carriers.
- Prepare, distribute and file appropriate shipping documents.
- May complete forms, maintain records, and mark/tag property and equipment.
Education & Experience:
- High School equivalency and 1 year of delivery work experience or a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
- Must be able to understand and follow administrative and operational clerical and other operating procedures involved in the work.
- Must be detail orientated.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
- Required to have the ability to prepare packages for shipping according to established procedures.
- For jobs that include delivery responsibility, an ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class C license is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain necessary certification to operate Power Industrial Vehicles (PIVs).
- Ability to use initiative and judgment in applying Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), International Air Transport Association (IATA) regulations, and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations with regard to the transport of restricted and regulated articles. Restricted or controlled materials are defined under the CFR and IATA and include toxic materials, carcinogens, radioactive materials, poisons, and corrosives. Must be in compliance with export control requirements.
Certificates and Licenses Required:
- Valid California Non-commercial C Class driver's license.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class C driver's license.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, pull objects that weigh up to 50 pounds.
- Constantly stand, walk.
- Frequently twist, bend, stoop, squat, perform light/fine grasping.
- Occasionally reach, work above shoulders and grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, write by hand, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- May operate power industrial vehicles (PIV) and other hand tools.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Required to wear appropriate uniform.
- May be required to work overtime, evenings, and weekends, including Holidays, sometimes in inclement weather conditions.
- Required to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- When conducting university business, must comply with the California Vehicle Code and Stanford University driving requirements.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/ and the appropriate collective bargaining agreement at https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/hrprocesses-policiespolicies/labor-relationscollective-bargaining.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stanford welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions to the University's research, teaching, and clinical missions.
We believe Stanford's future success will be shaped by the diverse perspectives, unique experiences, and inclusive culture of its community.
Why Stanford is for You:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, and course auditing. Join a TedTalk, watch a film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7132
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Department URL: http://ortho.stanford.edu
- Requisition ID: 89330
Location: University Libraries, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency