Academic Advisor - KSU Journey Honors College
Academic Advisor - KSU Journey Honors College
Job ID: 225918
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 35,000 students. With 13 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the third-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Interviews and advises students regarding information, procedures and academic requirements of a specific program or major. Provides academic guidance and program information to students in the assigned college or program. Assists students in exploring careers, evaluating academic abilities and setting goals.
- Provide high-quality academic advising services to current KSU students
- Develops multi-semester degree planning following major curriculum guidelines, aligns students' academic interests and aptitudes with appropriate professional goals
- Connects students with appropriate academic and non-academic student services that promote their success, and maintaining thorough and accurate documentation of individual advising sessions
- Meets formally with students to develop meaningful connections
- Attends and participates in advising sessions for new and incoming students, both at orientation and in pre-orientation advising sessions with students and families
- Develops partnerships with Enrollment Services to determine transfer credit evaluations and identify common challenges for transfer students
- Utilizes and incorporates best practices identified through the analysis of reports/analytics related to advising activity, student success metrics, etc.
- Contributes to the coordination of unit-level communication plans regarding key milestones, registration deadlines, academic resources, etc.
- Monitors the retention, progression, and graduation of students within the assigned population, and offer proactive outreach for those students who are at academic or social risk
- Membership and participation in professional development opportunities offered through KSU and state, regional, and national organizations (KSAAN, NACADA, NAAHP, etc.)
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Advise students in KSU Journey Honors College regarding information, procedures and academic requirements related to the program
2. Conduct group and individual advising sessions for KSU Journey Honors College students
3. Assist students in making choices related to the various Honors Designations, setting goals, and constructing academic plans
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a related field
Two (2) years of related experience as an academic advisor (or closely related field)
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Demonstrated commitment to academic advising as a key component of student success, as evidenced by prior experiences, such as peer leadership, student affairs leadership, peer advising, or curriculum design, letters of recommendation, and interview(s)
Preferred Educational Qualifications
Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in related field
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Able to access to confidential student information
Ability to interact effectively with students
Able to deal with multiple tasks or projects at one-time meeting assigned deadlines
Able to work evenings and weekends to support College initiatives, events and/or activities
Participates in ongoing professional development activities that enhance academic advising outcomes
Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem-solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management, and presentation skills
Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Banner, Nolij, EAB, Microsoft Office Suite, and other systems related to student support)
Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES*:
1. Experience working with high achieving academic students preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced + Education
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=225918&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency