Job no: 499878
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 4 - APC - Academic Professionals of California, Education Support Professionals, Probationary, Full Time
The Program Manager (PM), plays a significant and critical role in maintaining the university’s leadership position in professional education, especially in meeting the ambitious program and enrollment growth goals for the college and the university.
Under the direction of CPGE’s Associate Dean and taking work-lead direction from the Associate Director-Professional Programs, the PM will build on existing programs and partnerships and will work across teams to accomplish the mission, vision and strategies of CPGE. The position develops, implements, and evaluates courses and programs in both credit (degree, certificate, and courses) and non-credit offerings and is responsible for all aspects of the program offerings, including on-going quality (e.g., pedagogical soundness), operations, and financial feasibility and viability. The incumbent implements and monitors programs to ensure an effective application of technologies to deliver courses and programs in innovative and engaging ways and is actively engaged with cross-functional to achieve course learning objectives and program goals as well as supporting students’ success in programs and courses offered through the college.
The College of Professional and Global Education (CPGE) offers a comprehensive portfolio of professional and continuing education programs to serve the local, regional, and global workforce needs. Among the California State University system, CPGE is a leading provider of professional degree and certificate programs with over 40 programs across multiple disciplines.
- Manage tasks, deliverables, and timeline for courses and programs from idea generation, proposal, development, implementation, maintenance and assessment cycle
- Coordinate the workflow related to courses/programs and the various owners/responsible units (within CPGE and the broader SJSU) for the work to ensure timely deployment of course/program offerings
- Develop annual course and program operations budget
- Manage and analyze program pipeline
- Ensure currency in existing program content and structure
- Assess and determine optimal instructional delivery/format for courses and programs
- Apply and utilize technologies appropriately to support courses and programs during development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Manage the implementation of delivery formats including in-person or online based learning or a blending of these options to support student recruitment, enrollment, and engagement
- Collaborate with the academic units and student success units (e.g., advising, peer mentoring) to provide support structures for students enrolled in Professional Education courses and programs
- Review fiscal performance of assigned program and recommend future pricing strategy
- Develop revenue and expense forecasts for current year and for future time periods
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures and practices in academic and professional programs planning
- Ability to determine needs for new and current programs, including assessment of quality and viability of programs
- Deep knowledge and the ability to assess data from market research materials (e.g., Bureau of Labor Statistics) or organizations that informs decisions about potential courses and programs
- Evidence of knowledge of the resources of the campus and the surrounding region served by the University
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic community and stakeholder relationships.
- Working knowledge of a variety of communication mediums (e.g., digital marketing, websites, social media) to promote programs
- Knowledge of instructional design and course development best practices
- Knowledge of and ability to understand instructional tools (e.g., learning management system, web conferencing) to ensure optimal application use
- Knowledge in developing and delivering training and materials for stakeholders.
- Knowledge and the ability to quickly learn database(s) to access information, run, and develop reports for data-driven decision making
- Knowledge and understanding of budgets and financial models
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, to effectively communicate with various stakeholders and represent the College and the University to all internal and external partners and stakeholders
- Strong project management skills: must have the knowledge and skill-set related to identifying and documenting project tasks, requirements, deliverables, and timelines; perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment and handle multiple work priorities, organize, and plan projects
- Excellent solution oriented, problem-solving skills to think quickly, adeptly and methodically identifying and resolving issues, and making decisions
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with courses in adult education and curriculum planning
- Equivalent to three years of experience in planning classes and curriculum for higher or extended education programs and including developing resources, budgets, marketing plans and liaison with the community
- Master’s degree
- Three-year minimum experience in managing projects with at least one year as the lead or primary project manager
- Experience working in continuing education division of a higher education institution
- Experience in financial/business planning of educational programs e.g., cost and revenue assessments, developing budgets, conducting market analysis, and evaluating program financial feasibility
- Experience using technology and tools for program management, project management, pedagogical and student support e.g., Salesforce/Pardot
Classification: Extended Education Specialist II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $6,400/month - $7,000/month
Salary Range: $5,357/month - $7,633/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: April 28, 2021 through May 12, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: April 28, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled