Research Assistant🔍Dean of Research, Stanford, California, United States📁Research📅Apr 28, 2021 Post Date📅89345 Requisition #School/Unit Description: Stanford ChEM-H is a new interdisciplinary institute focused on connecting Chemistry, Engineering, and Medicine for Human Health. The institute was founded as a joint venture of the Schools of Medicine, Engineering, and Humanities and Sciences. The proximity of world-class biologists, chemists, engineers, and clinicians at Stanford presents a unique opportunity to study human biology at a molecular level, to translate this knowledge into groundbreaking products and services that promote healthy living, and to educate a new cadre of “physician-scientist-engineers” who will lead a rapidly evolving industry. The ChEM-H Knowledge Centers connect researchers with talented staff scientists, tools, and techniques in medicinal chemistry, metabolomics, macromolecular structure, and high throughput screening.Position Summary: The ChEM-H Knowledge Centers is seeking a Research Assistant (Life Science Research Professional) to join our team supporting and collaborating on a wide variety of protein, metabolomics, and chemistry challenges. You will perform and support complex lab experiments working independently to support various research projects, and work with and support complex scientific instrumentation in the laboratory. Your work portfolio will be diverse including protein production and purification for high-resolution x-ray crystallography structural determination, supporting high performance liquid chromatography mass spectrometer (LC/MS) instrumentation, and supporting the operations, management, and safety of the Knowledge Center shared research facility. This is a 2-year fixed-term position with the possibility to extend based on project funding. In this role, you will:
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab based on knowledge of scientific theory. Independently and collaboratively conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes. Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research. Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals. Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in related scientific field with 0-2 years of relevant laboratory research experience.General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work. Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance. Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively in a team environment.Flexibility, eagerness to learn new analytical skills under supervision and apply those skills to accurately perform work as needed.
- Experience with cell culture, molecular biology, cloning, transfection, and protein biology.Basic knowledge of liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry, hands-on experience in LC/MS.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds. Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts. Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls. Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.Position may require repetitive motion.
- May require working in close proximity to synthetic chemistry laboratory.Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present. Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator. May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 89345