Maintenance IV Plumber/Steamfitter
Maintenance IV Plumber/Steamfitter🔍Residential & Dining Enterprises, Stanford, California, United States📁Facilities📅Apr 27, 2021 Post Date📅89327 Requisition #This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment. Anticipated Shift:Monday - Friday 11 am-7:30pm ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES: Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus. Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications. “Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE,“Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.” Stanford and R&DE are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse environment. R&DE’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our work of providing service excellence to our students. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is foundational to what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us different. JOB PURPOSE:This job series describes positions in which the major responsibilities are a variety of plumbing duties performed at the journey level, as well as steamfitter work performed inside buildings on medium and low pressure steam and condensate systems. The duties listed under the Characteristic Duties section are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the classification. Responsibilities: Work may include any plumbing function as described in the Uniform Plumbing Code and Uniform Mechanical Code. Work is done on pipes of various materials, such as brass, steel, cast iron, copper, glass, or plastic, and of various sizes. In addition, plumber/steamfitters are expected to perform extensive preventive maintenance, as well as to provide emergency response actions when needed in all areas of responsibility. Duties are assigned by a shop supervisor or lead and are performed with considerable independence. Work will be spot-checked during an assignment or upon its completion. A minimum of 30% of an employee's duties must be steamfitter-related responsibilities. Core Duties (Steamfitting):
- Install, maintain, repair, and troubleshoot problems on medium and low pressure steam and condensate systems, including convectors, radiators, coils and heat exchangers, steam tables, sterilizes, autoclaves, traps, automatic and manual valves, strainers, and pumpsMay perform plumbing-related welding if qualified as a certified welder.
- Install, maintain, and repair domestic hot and cold water systems, including heating systems, boilers, hot water tanks, heat exchangers, radiators, valves, and pumpsInstall and maintain chilled water systems and related equipment, including pumps, valves, regulators, coils and strainersInstall, maintain and repair all types of plumbing fixtures, such as faucets, sinks, bathtubs, toilets, water heaters, and garbage disposalsInspect plumbing systems for malfunctions. Tum systems off safely and make repairs as neededCut, bend, solder, thread, and assemble pipes and fittings
- Join pipes by using flanges, fittings, solder, glue, or weldingInstall, clean, maintain, and repair sanitary sewer lines and storm drainage systems, using hand or power toolsInstall and repair pipe insulation systemsMaintain and repair fire protection sprinkler systems, including pipes and sprinkler headsInstall and repair gas lines and related equipment.
- Must be skilled in the use of the tools, materials, and equipment of the plumbing tradeMust have sufficient training and experience to qualify as a journeyman plumber (approximately five years of work in the trade, including time spent in an apprenticeship or vocational training program)Must also have experience in medium and low pressure steam systemsMust have knowledge of the physical properties of steam and condensate and the equipment used in maintaining these systemsIn addition, plumber/steamfitters may be required to use respiratory equipment and to work in confined spaces or in high elevations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class C license.Must be able to work in confined spaces or in high elevations.Constantly twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp forcefully.Frequently stand/walk, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 poundsOccasionally kneel/crawl, reach/work above shoulders, light/fine grasp toolsRarely climb, perform seated work, life/carry/pull/push objects greater than 40 pounds, perform desk based work, use a telephone, sort/file paperwork or partOccasionally operate foot and/or hand controlled equipmentOperate special machinery, i.e. mechanical and hydro sewer equipment.Ability to perform strenuous and repetitive workMust be able to lift at least 50 lbs.Constantly stand/walk. Possess visual acuity required to work with color codingOccasionally use a lift to access devicesAbility to perform work outside in variable weather conditionsAbility to wear required appropriate uniform and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 8452
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A39
- Requisition ID: 89327