Administrative Assistant III - Community Engagement and Legislative Affairs
Job no: 493725
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Categories: Administrative Support
Role: Administrative Assistant III
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.Work Schedule:
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through FridayRate of Pay:
An employee in this classification performs work of routine difficulty by providing administrative support to the department. Work is distinguished by the ability to collaborate and interact with the Office of the President staff, elected officials, key stakeholders, faculty, staff and students. Immediate supervision is received by the assigned manager.Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Associate's degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school with a minimum of 3 years related executive administrative experience or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the English language for the purpose of editing and composing written communications, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Considerable skill in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Access and Publisher
- Considerable skill in researching topics online.
- Considerable skill in organizing work to meet established deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Working skill in interpersonal interaction to be applied to a variety of individuals with differing education, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Working skills in verbal and written communication.
- Working skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends when required by the department’s needs.
1. Good knowledge of and commitment to, the principals of diversity and inclusion.Essential Duties:
1. Performs a variety of administrative and clerical duties, including, but not limited to:
• Assist directors with internal and external special projects in coordination with other departments and/or organizations
• Assists in coordinating activities between ECC and internal departments and external organizations.
• Assists with community engagement related projects and duties
• Prepares expense/travel reports for directors
• Assists with the preparation of regular monthly and annual reports by calculating figures, entering information, collating materials and securing confidential financial data to be presented
• Coordinates calendars, schedules, training, travel arrangements, meetings and special events.
• Creates and maintains files, reviews drafts and finished documents for accuracy and grammar, including documents of a sensitive or confidential nature.
• Drafts and edits various documents including internal/external correspondence
• Enters and retrieves data and information from computer systems and software applications
• Uses the appropriate spoken and written forms of address for U.S. State and Local government officials
• Establish and maintains filing systems
• Keeps abreast of directors’ immediate and long-term commitments and plans; identifies conflicts, flags problems for intervention and corrects course as appropriate
• Maintains or processes account records, accounts receivable or accounts payable and reconciles or process transfers for budget accounts and monitors budget as appropriate
2. Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws
3. Maintains required training, licensure and/or certifications
4. Orders office and program supplies, including arranging for equipment maintenance.
5. Posts information on college intranet and other electronic communication systems
6. Prepares materials and notes, and ensures follow-up for various stakeholder meetings including staff, Board or other meetings.
7. Provides analytical and specialized administrative support with complex details and advanced administrative duties
8. Researches information, creates and maintains databases including, elected officials, chambers of commerce, staff community engagement
9. Sorts and distributes mail, identifying priority items
10. Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace
11. Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality
12. Supports executive-level staff in special circumstances
13. Performs other tasks and duties as assigned by directors
- Orient or back up other clerical workers in the office or department.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)Visual Acuity:
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)Work Environment:
Moderate noiseEnvironmental Conditions:
Typical office or administrativeCurrent SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date for this position is 04/28/2021. Elgin Community College Support Staff Association(SSECCA) members that apply by 05/05/2021 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: April 28, 2021 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled