Director, Real Estate, Planning, and Space Management
The University of Maryland Baltimore is seeking a Director of Real Estate, Planning, and Space Management. This position will be responsible for the mission of the University by overseeing real estate matters, campus master planning, space management, capital budgeting, and historic preservation.
- Oversee and analyze real estate purchasing, selling, and development in order to fulfill the long-term vision of the facilities master plan for the campus and closely surrounding community areas and provides recommendations to the Chief Business & Finance Officer.
- Spearheads the facilities master plan development, periodic updates, and provides presentations to various stakeholders.
- Maintains the official classifications of campus space, reporting on the same to the System Office, and manages campus inventory assignments to various units.
- Lead the capital budgeting process and capital program development for UMB.
- Oversee all campus real estate related matters including leasing, negotiating lease terms, setting rental rates for UMB space, securing necessary reviews and approvals of leases, completing the due diligence for property acquisitions and dispositions, negotiating sale/purchase prices, and securing required reviews and approvals, and identifying opportunities for partnerships deals.
- Oversee, develop, and submit annual capital and system-funded budget requests and five-year plans, including USM documentation and Department of Budget and Management documentation (CBIS); prepare oral and written testimony for President, and negotiates for approval of capital programs and modifications. Additionally, develops and submits UMB cash-funded project requests for approval.
- Lead the campus facilities master planning process and updates to the plan which includes but is not limited to securing stakeholder input, preparing the Board of Regents presentation, and presenting the presentation to various campus constituents.
- Direct space needs assessments by gathering data, conducting interviews, analyzing, and developing options, for new construction, renovation, leasing, or space exchanges.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the campus’ space inventory.
- Serve as a historic preservation officer for the campus. Oversees the development and implementation of historic preservation plans.
- Responsibly manage the departmental budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Master’s degree in urban and or regional planning or other related fields is required.
Experience: Seven (7) years of related experience in many of the areas of responsibility for the position, including at least three (3) years in capital budgeting experience required. University experience is preferred.
Supervisory Experience: Three (3) years of management experience that involved recruiting and training and being directly responsible for staff performance is required.
Other: Financial disclosure is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in urban revitalization, knowledge of best practices in urban and academic planning as well as possess capital budget skills. Demonstrate knowledge of best practices in the real estate profession, including partnerships and leasing. Knowledge of federal, state (Maryland) and local laws, ordinances and codes pertaining to city planning, land use, and development. Accomplishes responsibilities by primarily (>50%) performing significant managerial functions within area of responsibility. Possess subject matter expertise in a professional discipline. Achieves objectives through coordinated efforts of others, typically by managing recruitment, engagement, performance, and development of employees. Develops, implements, and manages goals and objectives. Participates in strategic planning. Determines and enforces processes, practices, and/or policies. Manages operations, workflow, projects, and/or systems that have strategic impact. Accountable for operational and/or financial resources. Accountable for legal and policy compliance. Oversees overall direction of a functional area (department OR major function within a school or campus-wide office) as the designated leader. May lead through subordinate senior professionals. Oversees and executes strategic goals and objectives that align with overall School/University strategy. Broad authority to make managerial decisions within area of responsibility, informing leadership of significant financial, personnel, and strategic decisions. Decisions and quality of execution have significant impact on other functional areas. Thorough knowledge of position requirements. Thorough knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to support a mission and strategic vision. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen and cultivate relationships. Skill in consultation and change management. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]. If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: Real Estate Planning and Space Management
Job Posting: Apr 27, 2021
Unposting Date: May 11, 2021, 10:59:00 PM