IT Support Associate and IT Support Specialist
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-27
The University of Virginia seeks an IT Support Associate and IT Support Specialist to join our team in the School of Engineering and Applied Science. Providing front-line user support for students, staff, and faculty within the School of Engineering; both positions will play a critical role in helping us continue “our mission to make the world a better place by creating and disseminating knowledge and by preparing engineering leaders to solve global challenges.” The IT Support roles will serve as the first point of contact to respond to hardware break/fix inquiries, software operation issues, technical troubleshooting, and be tasked with resolving and/or escalating technical dilemmas until resolved.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Analyze and solve problems on complex computer applications and systems for students, faculty, and staff, providing a wide range of in-depth technical assistance to departmental users.
- Log all inquiries into user support tracking system to ensure follow through to resolution and quality of service assessment.
- Proactively deploy best practices as they become available from LSP (local support partner) community, Engineering IT, or Central ITS.
- Assist users with installation and troubleshooting of desktop software.
- Proactively maintain all hardware and peripherals.
- Proactively process software upgrades, patch kits, etc.
- Support software title license compliance.
- Follow proper procedures related to secure computing and disposal or retirement of all equipment per UVA policy and best practice.
- Support academic programs by maintaining instructional labs per Engineering IT standards.
- Develop user training information materials as needed and provide or acquire individual instruction to users – including faculty, staff, and students.
- Support local printing output activities (shared lasers, large format printers, local peripherals).
- Update inventory tracking system for hardware and software titles.
- Support Engineering Desktop Refresh Program and AV Refresh Program activities.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
IT Support Specialist additional duties:
- Represent department level user needs and contribute to IT planning and budgeting activities, research grant acquisition, reporting and compliance activities.
- Maintain all physical space and resources allocated to IT function with maximum stewardship.
- Serve on new product assessment and implementation teams providing research, field installation, training, etc. to test, evaluate, and share inputs regarding new technology presented to improve efficiency, recruitment, and retention.
- Oversee and complete requisition & installation of server and network software; performing network backup and file restoration as needed.
- Maintain compliance with policy for data security, risk management, asset management, etc.
- Assist with implementation of Central ITS driven/funded projects (hardware, software, network).
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert and lead on the services offered by Engineering IT and Central ITS to assist with problem resolution.
- Plan and lead in-person or online user training sessions for product upgrades, rollouts, etc.
IT Support Associate Minimum Requirements (Only one of the following combinations required):
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline and 3 years of relevant experience.
- Associates degree and 5 years of relevant experience.
- High school diploma and 7 years of relevant experience.
IT Support Specialist Minimum Requirements (Only one of the following combinations required):
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline and 5 years of relevant experience.
- Associates degree and 7 years of relevant experience.
- High school diploma and 9 years of relevant experience.
IT Associate anticipated hiring range: $60,000 - $65,000 annually depending upon experience.
IT Specialist anticipated hiring range: $73,000 - $78,000 annually depending upon experience.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please apply through Workday, and search for “R0023490”. Complete an application online and attach a CV/resume; cover letter is optional. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by searching “Find Jobs” in the top search bar. This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require an Education Verification. (FSAKA). Questions on the position or application process should be directed to Lauren Jackson, IT Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.