Supervisor, Billing & Collections
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-28
The incumbent is responsible for supervising all aspects of operations in various functional areas within the Billing and Collections Sections of Charge & Payment/Lockbox and Refunds.
- Manages physician account receivables and distributes work based on findings.
- Gathers and analyzes data, takes actions to manage accounts receivable and staff.
- Enforces all HIPAA standards and guidelines.
- Maintains expertise of CMS and other payer billing guidelines.
- Maintains and applies knowledge of healthcare trends and regulatory requirements.
- Creates and maintains operational budget.
- Manages contract and accounts payable responsibilities for vendor products and services utilized in their section.
- Participates in monthly meetings with Clinical Department Administrators.
- Serves as primary liaison to clinical departments and patients.
- Manages projects including the various phases of implementation, i.e. relationship with vendors, IS/IT teams.
- Participates in Billing and Collections resource committee to determine the needs across work units and allocate staff to ensure sufficient coverage to meet the needs of our customers.
- Participates in contract reviews.
- Presents during monthly Billing Staff Meetings as required.
- Attends various meetings with UVa Health System personnel.
- Develops and implements policies that address areas of potential cost reduction.
- Maintains all unit procedures.
- Analyzes national benchmarking information to establish standards of performance.
- Oversees multiple billing applications and software to assure accuracy and to optimize efficiency of billing processes.
- Responsible for the hiring process to assure minimal vacancy time and loss of production.
- Provides direction and guidance to unit coordinators and staff.
- Provides performance management for staff.
- Responsible for the training and development of staff.
- Participates in activities to promote staff engagement.
- Develops, maintains and reports on standards of performance.
- Maintains relationship with third party payers, clinical departments, and other health system staff to resolve billing issues.
- Researches and resolves complex payer issues.
- Researches and resolves patient concerns/inquiries.
- Authorizes transactions according to UPG policies and procedures.
- Prioritizes tasks when presented with multiple assignments.
- Other duties as identified by Billing & Collections Management.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Four to five years of related experience required.
- Knowledge of CPT coding and third party reimbursement policies required.
- Two or more year’s supervisory experience required.
- Knowledge of and experience utilizing a personal computer.
- Word processing and spreadsheet skills required.
- 10-key calculator experience preferred.
- Experience utilizing billing application software required.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.