Division Manager, Department of Surgery
SurgeryDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724 USAPosition Highlights:
This position will provide administrative and operational management oversight to the Surgical Oncology division which has 10 faculty members and 5 associated support staff members. Primary support will be provided to the Interim Division Chief, Dr. Valentine Nfonsam. The Manager will play a pivotal role in being the liaison interacting with the faculty to manage all resources for the Division and responsible for Surgical Oncology's budget. The other priority for this position will be supporting the General Surgery Residency Program. This position requires great attention to detail, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work well with people.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages the day-to-day operational activities for the Division Chief's office including approving personnel expenditures, making decisions on purchases, and working closely with Department Business Office to manage Surgical Oncology's budget.
- Supervises and directs Division staff to ensure that their daily activities are being performed, meeting Department and Institutional deadlines, and ensure that the Division staff have the resources and tools that they need to be productive; provide additional training and office support as needed; manage issues and concerns that arise to identify and evaluate alternative solutions, and provide guidance regarding interpretation and implementation of state, federal, university, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Acts as the liaison with the Division Chief and clinical faculty, including attending monthly faculty meetings, and monthly meetings with Department Administration.
- May provide recommendations on pay decisions, as well as recruitment and development opportunities within Surgical Oncology.
- Coordinates the ACES Residency Training Course which occurs quarterly each academic year.
- Collaborates with Residency Program Manager to oversee daily operations in residency office.
- Provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge and may interpret department policy, procedure and operations.
- Attends monthly institutional GME Residency Coordinator meeting, annual ACGME and specialty specific meetings and workshops.
- Collaborates on event planning for the General Surgery Residency Program including retreats, orientation and graduation and any events within the General Surgery Division.
- Collaborates with Program Manager on oversight of educational conferences or meetings under general instructions; communicate arrangements to appropriate colleagues as needed.
- Prioritizes and manages multiple projects simultaneously, and follows through on issues in a timely manner including management of quality metric reports, fiscal responsibility for Division, ensures accuracy and financial compliance, budget development, expense management, and financial analysis.
- Serves as the Time Approver for assigned Division faculty, staff, and fellows.
- Provides training, direction and instruction tostaff and conducts annual Career Conversations with UArizona staff.
- Takes lead during interview season or any other events that benefit or highlight the program.
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience, including 2 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree.
*3-years’ experience with a 50+ residency program. *Experience supporting a Division Chief Supervisory experience.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Organizational AdministrationBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
9Career Stream and Level:
Administrative OperationsJob Function:
Organizational AdministrationType of criminal background check required::
Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to job duties)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Jessica Holmgren, HR Representative |[email protected]Open Date:
4/28/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.