Accountant, Senior - Department of Medicine (Multiple Positions) (UPDATED)
MedicineDepartment Website Link:Location:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
University of Arizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
Please Note: The number of openings has changed from 1 to 2. The University of Arizona, Department of Medicine Business Office invites applications for the position of Accountant, Senior. Successful candidates will possess advanced knowledge in accounting and grant administration as well as having strong initiative and prioritization skills. The Department of Medicine develops and delivers cutting-edge medical research, high-quality education and unsurpassed patient care. The overall objective of the Business Office is to provide excellent operational and financial management support to the 14 divisions and more than 190 faculty members within the Department of Medicine (DOM). This includes managing more than 200 research grants/contracts. The Accountant, Senior position plays an important role in managing faculty and staff salary allocations, reviewing and approving financial transactions, monitoring budgets, reconciling data, producing financial reports, and managing accounts for assigned Divisions. The position also provides post-award services related to grants management including the following: reporting, financial projections, account reconciliation, procurement, financial services, collaborating with principal investigators and other research staff to ensure compliance with sponsor regulations, and sub award administration.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here. Duties & Responsibilities:
The Accountant, Senior position is a key contributor to the success of the Department of Medicine’s Business Office team and its mission.
- Utilize UAccess to review and monitor departmental\grant\contract activity, budgets and balances for appropriate spending and compliance with various agency’s policies and regulations in addition to UA policies and regulations.
- Provide explanations and recommendations for operational budget variances.
- Assist with annual UA All Funds Budget, UA Budget Rollover, and Departmental Fiscal Year End processes.
- Request, review, process and/or approve day-to-day business transactions with accuracy, completeness and in compliance with University and UA Foundation policies and procedures.
- Operationalize grants & contracts, ensure alignment with contract budget and scope of work as determined by the sponsor.
- Reconcile and manage state, designated, gift, sponsored and foundation accounts as well as prepare financial reports for sponsors, PIs and Division Chiefs.
- Reconcile payroll records, verify and monitor internal and external commitments, and create/manage funding plans.
- Reconcile effort for UA and Banner faculty, prepare adjustments as needed.
- Communicate with multiple stakeholders to train and provide guidance on university/sponsor policy and procedure.
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
*At least two years working knowledge and experience interpreting University and UA Foundation policies and procedures.*At least two years of experience working with the University Financial Systems.*At least two years of experience working with Federal or State grants and contracts in a research or public service setting. *At least two years of experience reconciling state, discretionary, sponsored, and gift accounts.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$48,000 - $52,000Compensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
7Career Stream and Level:
FinanceType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
2Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Karena Nespoli |[email protected]Open Date:
4/28/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume, Cover Letter, and One Additional DocumentSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Please provide the name and contact information for three professional references. The hiring department will contact references as needed.Diversity Statement:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.